The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an intriguing plant. An emergent aroid (Family Araceae), Cyrtospoerma johnstonii is originally from Southeast Asia. It has these wild leaves.

I have two little divisions of this plant that are growing well, albeit slowly, in riparium planters. The slow growth is advantageous, because mature specimens can be more than 4' tall. The leaf petioles are long relative to the leaves and with sharp spines. I hope that I will be able to control the size of these plants as they grow.

This unusual plant could serve as a striking centerpiece for a riparium display in a good-sized tank.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
http://www.asiaticanursery.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=907
It looks like this can be the 600 pound gorilla of the tank? With the sharp spines on the stems you need to have established a very good rapport with the plant, and gently ask it first before trying to move it:icon_eek: And, it has 3 foot long stems? But, it is certainly a beautiful, striking plant if it can be tamed. Maybe, it could be called the Siberian Tiger of the tank?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I hope that I can keep it under control because it is a cool plant. I think that I might see the beginnings of new little pups at the base of these plants, so it might be possible to just keep taking new little divisions and repotting them as the main plant in the planter starts to get too large.

Here is a shot with another related aroid that also grows as an emergent in swamps. I got this shot of Lasia spinosa (arrow) at Fairchild Boptnacal Gardens in Miami. As the Latin name suggests, it also gets a spiny leaf petiole.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The C. johnstonii is still looking good. It is growing, but not too fast. I think that it looks nice with the Pilea cardierei.

My hopes are being fulfilled!...I do see two little plantlets suckering from the base of this growing specimen. So, I hope that as this starts to grow too large I will be able to begin establishing smaller replacements for it in additional planter cups.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
My hopes are being fulfilled!...I do see two little plantlets suckering from the base of this growing specimen.
Dibs on leftovers! This is still the coolest aroid I've ever seen :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope that I can find a wholesale source for this plant so that I can get more of them faster. I really like it a lot and it's a big hit generally.

I will do my best to grow up these little divisions that I see, but it is a slow-growing plant. I need to build a real greenhouse so I can grow more of this kind of thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.