The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by now, probably everyone here has seen some of hydrophyte's ripariums. I know you can have all sorts of sweet lookin' plants, and obviously you can keep smaller fish, but what other things can you keep in there?

I've heard talk about whether you can keep mantids, and we collectively decided that its probably not a good idea, and i know you can't keep most lizards because they would drown in the water... but what CAN you have?

...crabs, dart frogs, newts, geckos, idk. any ideas? :fish:

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I think that fish and plants are really the best options for ripariums--there are a zillion-and-one options for each of these. Ripariums are great for displaying fish and plants.

For most terrestrial or amphibious animals it just wouldn't be fair to keep them in an enclosure without any real land area, plus anything bigger than tiny would trash the emersed plants pretty quick.

Maybe newts would be alright if you could give them a small ledge somewhere to haul out. I hope to try mantids someday. Anoles or some other small arboreal lizard might also work with sturdy plants.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Fiddler Crabs might be cool if you have a brackish setup and lots of places for them to crawl out of the water. Something like Fire or Rough-Skinned Newts would be fine too, cause they're like 95% aquatic.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I remember down in Costa Rica once we were out in a mangrove swamp fishing for snapper and there was a crab there that jumped around in the trees just like a squirrel. It had a lot of hair (not true hair) on its hindmost pair of legs. I never figured out what kind of crab that was.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Me and Hydro were talking about Riparium animals yesterday...and I was thinking Firebellied Newts would be best because they are very slow moving and cautious...but you've still got to have a Lid[they can crawl out of a semi-tightly sealed vivarium[IDK how else to say that...mine was 50/50 Land/Air]!] and places for them to get out of the water. I'm thinking though with my Rip. I'd be better just to keep the Nano-Fish I want because while I wouldn't mind having tons of land areas, I don't REALLY want a lid on my tank...

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I have also pondered various fishes that use the above-water area--not mudskippers, because they need mud--such as splashing tetras (Copella arnoldi), archerfish (Toxotes sp.) or four-eyed fish (Anableps sp.).

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I find it challenging enough just to learn how to care for the terrestrial plants we use in a riparium, while still keeping the water good enough for fish and aquatic plants. Adding another living thing in there would be too much for me to cope with right now. It seems to me that ripariums are a new enough concept now that there is still a lot to learn about them, and we still haven't really explored all of the aqua/landscaping possibilities for the concept. Maybe in a few years boredom will set in and I will want to look at other creatures to add.

As an example of what might be done as far as scaping is concerned, how about a down river scene, instead of a river bank scene?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I think that one really can create plenty of interest in the emersed area just with plants. There are so many different kinds of plants that you can plant in there, plus many can also be bloomed in the above-water area of a riparium, so you can enjoy the flowers too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can't really do much with a ripararium. Not only is there no real dry land, but most riparariums work with an open-top design - which is a big no no for anything which climbs on land.

You can, however, do things with a paludarium, as they have real dry land (usually built up with eggcrate, great stuff, and soil material). Typically, large sized tanks are needed however. Cube tanks are great, although the best is a tank with equal depth and length but greater height.

For good aquascaping, you need to have at least half the tank to be "airside" You then lose more water volume due to the buildup for the land. It's possible therefore with a 45 gallon cube you'd only end up with 15 gallons of water space.

Getting a paludarium right in stocking is difficult. A lot of commonly kept terrarium inhabitants which work well in moist conditions (dart frogs, day geckos, some smaller chameleons, millipedes, etc) can't really swim, so they could easily die in the water. It has been done though, particularly with darts - although I'd suggest you only do this after successfully keeping and breeding them in a terrarium.

On the other hand, truly amphibious animals, like turtles and newts, are not really community friendly.

Probably the easiest would be, as someone else suggested, a brackish paludarium. Mudskippers (Indian please - small species are ideal) and fiddler crabs on the land, with bumblebee gobies in the water. Salinity on the low side. Still, you'd be limited to java moss, java fern, and mangroves. Mangroves grow damn slow, and you'd have a major issue as time passes - as the mangroves would want to grow up out of the tank, you cannot leave it uncovered without crabs and mudskippers getting loose.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I find it challenging enough just to learn how to care for the terrestrial plants we use in a riparium, while still keeping the water good enough for fish and aquatic plants. Adding another living thing in there would be too much for me to cope with right now. It seems to me that ripariums are a new enough concept now that there is still a lot to learn about them, and we still haven't really explored all of the aqua/landscaping possibilities for the concept. Maybe in a few years boredom will set in and I will want to look at other creatures to add.

As an example of what might be done as far as scaping is concerned, how about a down river scene, instead of a river bank scene?
I know what you mean, I just received the 'Small Hanging Planter 3-pack' + 'Nano Trellis Raft 3-pack' from RipariumSupply so I'm excited. I originally wasn't going to use any terrestrial plants as I wanted to make a hanging trellis of aquatic plants in my 29gal community tank but since he threw in several plants I had to go ahead and use the hangers for them in a spare 10gal tank (crafty seller, now I need to order more ;) ).

I'm just hoping I did everything correctly I ended up putting SMS over the little clay balls in the bottom for the plants as I didn't really have anything else and I'm EI dosing the tank just like a regular planted tank so we'll see how it goes. Now I need to scape that thing ...

- Brad

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Hey bradac56 I'm glad to hear that you got your box. SMS on top of the clay pebbles sounds perfect--I have used it with good results. You'll just want to add ferts as they start growing. You can either drip liquid ferts onto the surface of the SMS or add a root tab. I have found that a tablespoon or so of mineralized topsoil, sandwiched between layers of gravel, also works very well. I have more plants that I can send too. Just let me know of any other questions that come to mind..........(paragraph break).........I have seen a few planted paludarium/vivarium displays for dart frogs and also tree frogs which incorporated water pools that looked nice and functioned well...........(paragraph break).........I agree that options for terrestrial or amphibious animals in ripariums are limited at best. However, there are many, many options for scaping the emersed area with plants and many fascinating and beautiful plants to use. Ripariums are also good for displaying fish. As telephasic pointed out, in paludariums the built-up terrestrial feature can occupy much of the space that might be filled with water. In a riparium on the other hand a full 40% or so of the tank can be used for water and fish and fully aquatic plants...........(paragraph break)..............Why won't the paragraph break work for my message window? I have never had this problem before. Is there a tag that I can use to close a paragragh? I just tried both "
" and "[p]" but these didn't work(?).

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
.........(paragraph break)..............Why won't the paragraph break work for my message window? I have never had this problem before. Is there a tag that I can use to close a paragragh? I just tried both "
" and "[p]" but these didn't work(?).
I have a "magic" key on my keyboard, called "return":tongue:

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I tried that. I put three returns between paragraphs in the message box but it still sdiplays with no breaks in the thread. I will try re-booting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts