The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body use these? It has really tiny holes on the bottom and none on the sides. I'm worried they won't get enough flow through the basket.

Rectangle Font Art Glass Cylinder

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I would just use a sponge/soap holder. The kind with suction cups to stick to the side of the sink. Some have holes all the way around. Much cheaper than these 3D printed ones.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I build riparium planters using this material and heavy duty outdoor zip ties: Black Egg Crate for Aquariums 2' x 2' Square

I basically make a basket out of it, with the back edge that touches the aquarium longer so that it goes all the way to the top of the rim.

I fill the aquarium like 80-90%, so that the lower lip of that egg crate is just barely above water.

I zip tie spider wood pieces to the front to obscure the egg crate, and then put plants "in" the basket. Im currently using eco complete in small net cups for planting.

The longer back side that goes all the way to the rim I plant on siliconing pieces of cork bark and stuffing moss in the cracks. Eventually I hope that a variety of epiphytes will grow out of this, ferns etc.

For those that want a more simple approach - Hydrophyte of this website makes a great product that is available on Online Store: Aqua Verdi - Riparium Supply - Selva Terrarium

Welcome to this side of the hobby. Its super fun and I cant believe it still hasnt taken off. I am doing this in tanks with larger fish that cant be held with fragile aquarium plants...they absolutely love the overhang with the spiderwood on it. I have a black wolffish that just hovers under the shadow of all the roots. Not hard to imagine him in a very similar situation in his natural habitat!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I build riparium planters using this material and heavy duty outdoor zip ties: Black Egg Crate for Aquariums 2' x 2' Square

I basically make a basket out of it, with the back edge that touches the aquarium longer so that it goes all the way to the top of the rim.

I fill the aquarium like 80-90%, so that the lower lip of that egg crate is just barely above water.

I zip tie spider wood pieces to the front to obscure the egg crate, and then put plants "in" the basket. Im currently using eco complete in small net cups for planting.

The longer back side that goes all the way to the rim I plant on siliconing pieces of cork bark and stuffing moss in the cracks. Eventually I hope that a variety of epiphytes will grow out of this, ferns etc.

For those that want a more simple approach - Hydrophyte of this website makes a great product that is available on Online Store: Aqua Verdi - Riparium Supply - Selva Terrarium

Welcome to this side of the hobby. Its super fun and I cant believe it still hasnt taken off. I am doing this in tanks with larger fish that cant be held with fragile aquarium plants...they absolutely love the overhang with the spiderwood on it. I have a black wolffish that just hovers under the shadow of all the roots. Not hard to imagine him in a very similar situation in his natural habitat!
I would love to see some pictures! Yea I'm surprised riparian planters haven't become more popular. I made my own basket before too, I stitched and zip tied some black crafting netting and made a super long basket to fit my old 40b.

This was back in 2016, man my kids were so little!

I would just use a sponge/soap holder. The kind with suction cups to stick to the side of the sink. Some have holes all the way around. Much cheaper than these 3D printed ones.
I've used them before, and the suction cups failed on me. I had it filled with fired clay balls and I had those things floating all over the place.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You are right about the cups. I make mine from plastic canvas from Walmart. I use zip ties or hot glue to fashion them. They work great for a few plants in each one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts