The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Rio 600 RVT and I recently saw the needle wheel impeller but it's for the Rio 800/RVT. I want to know if I can use the 800 needle impeller for the 600 even though the two powerheads have the same dimensions but different gph and watts rating. I know I could mod the 600 impeller by splitting the blades to increase the number of blades on the impeller.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Rio 600 RVT and I recently saw the needle wheel impeller but it's for the Rio 800/RVT. I want to know if I can use the 800 needle impeller for the 600 even though the two powerheads have the same dimensions but different gph and watts rating. I know I could mod the 600 impeller by splitting the blades to increase the number of blades on the impeller.
Does anyone know if the 800 comes with new impeller or is it a separate purchase? If separate, where can I buy it?

Thanks.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
The modification I suggested (search here etc) to thr stock normal impellers adds a lot more mist than these.

More blades and longer dwell time are why.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
28 Posts
JLAquatics.com might be able to get it for you.

BigAlsonline.com used to carry it, I believe.

MarineDepot.com carries it: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=TA4511&tab=1&child=TA4523
Thanks MD wants $30 to ship to Canada and they use UPS, so I would get a huge brokerage bill too.

I contacted Taam as well and they said that there was no Needle Wheel impeller available for the 800, as the regular impeller worked fine. I don't know if the one above has been discontinued of if we had a language problem. I'll send them the link and see what they say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The modification I suggested (search here etc) to thr stock normal impellers adds a lot more mist than these.

More blades and longer dwell time are why.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Thanks Tom, I've seen your snipping. I don't trust myself not to muck up the impeller. I'm building a reactor now instead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks MD wants $30 to ship to Canada and they use UPS, so I would get a huge brokerage bill too.

I contacted Taam as well and they said that there was no Needle Wheel impeller available for the 800, as the regular impeller worked fine. I don't know if the one above has been discontinued of if we had a language problem. I'll send them the link and see what they say.
Taam came back and said that the impeller shown above is standard on all 800 pumps. But YMMV, old stock and all that.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Taam came back and said that the impeller shown above is standard on all 800 pumps. But YMMV, old stock and all that.
Will it work in your 600?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't know :icon_conf, I'll ask. But I doubt it.
Response was that the power requirements are different, so they doubted the impeller would start. They were not definitive on the actual fit, but based on the above I would not try. The difference in price between a new pump and the impeller is fairly small anyway.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Response was that the power requirements are different, so they doubted the impeller would start. They were not definitive on the actual fit, but based on the above I would not try. The difference in price between a new pump and the impeller is fairly small anyway.
Thanks!

I know their RVT kit will fit on their models 200 to 800. But I didn't know about the impeller being interchangeable between the 600 and 800.

I had the 600 RVT for a while. It worked OK. I ended up selling it though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts