The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rio 125 Planted Journal

2311 Views 30 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Fishy guy
So I am back in the world of planted tanks after a few years out focusing my money on all my other hobbies, its tough having loads of expensive hobbies and trying to maintain them all. But now I have some time for my other hobby, fish keeping! This is going to be a little journal following my new Rio 125 tank.

So far

Rio 125 (internal filter removed)
Fluval 307
Spray bar 80cm
Limpopo sand (another 10kg coming to get a bit more depth)
Redmoor Driftwood
Neutro Co2 (2-3ml daily)
Neutro T micro nutrients (10ml daily)
Will also get root tabs

I have ordered several plants already

Anubias Nana x3
Microsorum Pteropus Petite
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
x2
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown x2
Echinodorus parviflorus

So the plan is to add the Anubias and Microsorum Pteropus Petite to the drift wood I have already, which I think is quite an interesting piece. I will build up the Limpopo a bit more
I was thinking of having the wood left aligned leaving some open room for the Echinondorus to florish. I havent really had much luck with Enchinodurus in the past, but I think that was prior to me using the Neutro ferts which have been great recently. I may also get some small drfift wood and plant on it in this area as well/instead depending how it goes.

Stocking
Nothing set in stone as of yet.

Guppies (to keep the gf happy)
Swordtails? (maybe)
Corys x6-8 (not sure which, either panda or sterbai)
Pleco of some kind
Shoal of cardinals x12
2x pair Bolivian Rams

Let me know what you think so far and any suggestions
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
You might want something on the back glass to block all the pipes and equipment from the front view

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,682 Posts
Love the look of that massive root!! Wish I had started out with something like that. I cheaped out on the wood because everything was costing so much and though I do have two beautiful chunks my fish adore they’re on the small side for the tank size (especially height) and already almost swallowed by my plants. I’m thinking of finding ways to shove more in there.

You could also go for some easy stems? Everything you have so far is super slow growers and if you’re like me you’ll get tired of waiting for it to fill in.... I recommend water wisteria as a fast and furious grower, along with limnophila sessiliflora which is currently star of my tank, growing like a champion and looking delightfully frilly.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love the look of that massive root!! Wish I had started out with something like that. I cheaped out on the wood because everything was costing so much and though I do have two beautiful chunks my fish adore they’re on the small side for the tank size (especially height) and already almost swallowed by my plants. I’m thinking of finding ways to shove more in there.

You could also go for some easy stems? Everything you have so far is super slow growers and if you’re like me you’ll get tired of waiting for it to fill in.... I recommend water wisteria as a fast and furious grower, along with limnophila sessiliflora which is currently star of my tank, growing like a champion and looking delightfully frilly.
Thank you, yeah its pretty nice and has several different angles it can be placed, although I like this way pictured.

In terms of plants, yes they are all slow growing so far, I have just ordered 2x more of the mini java ferns Microsorum Pteropus Petite to flesh out the wood a bit more, rather than wait 12 months for it to cover ;) I also got 3 bunches of Vallis coming as a background.

I should probabvly as you say get some stem plants, the limnophila sessiliflora looks nice and would add a different texture too. In terms of puring and keeping them bushy plus green top to bottom what are your routines and how much pruning?

Also I see you are a snail fan, I do have a nerrite hiding under the root somewhere ;)

· Registered
3,682 Posts
I haven’t had the sessiliflora that long, and my tank is pretty tall so I haven’t pruned it yet. Also I’m a fan of jungle vibes so I really want everything to just go crazy... I can just tell you it’s growing with enthusiasm and wherever I had to trim because of damage, two new branches sprouted up immediately and are putting out solid growth.

My guppy grass is also shooting up and doing, like, an inch per day on the livelier stems... my val is lowkey melting but putting out multiple runners.... water wisteria not going as fast as before when it seemed I couldn’t trim it quick enough but still making headway.

My approach is every Sunday when I change water I poke around while the level is lower and tidy up whatever needs it... for now it’s not big interventions because I want things to grow crazy, I’ll trim more I guess when things start hitting the surface.

I’m a hitchhiker snail enthusiast!! Have four species so far and haven’t paid for a single one 😊 They’re adorable.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m a hitchhiker snail enthusiast!! Have four species so far and haven’t paid for a single one 😊 They’re adorable.
That's an amazing way of putting it :ROFLMAO:, tbh I have never had any interesting varieties come through on my plants, just the generic "pest snail" (cant remeber the name) maybe you get more your side of the pond

· Registered
3,682 Posts
That's an amazing way of putting it :ROFLMAO:, tbh I have never had any interesting varieties come through on my plants, just the generic "pest snail" (cant remeber the name) maybe you get more your side of the pond
My definition is basically ‘free snails’, as opposed to those you pay for. I’ve really turned around from thinking of them as pests haha. They’re just... free spirits?

Let’s see... I have bladder snails (quintessential ‘pest snail’, blueish body, spotted shell, pretty small, never bother a soul), pond snails (Chug the Magnificent and their chuglets, much chunkier, same shell shape as bladder but sort of golden brown and curved the other way), mini ramshorns (crazy tiny, transparent, never grow, wear their shell flat), pink ramshorns (which you CAN pay for if you like but mine came on gift plants from fellow aquarist, unintentionally), and one mystery snail that snuck in on my red val purchase I think. It’s quite the collection :) I’m missing a few common ones still but maybe they’ll come :)

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My definition is basically ‘free snails’, as opposed to those you pay for. I’ve really turned around from thinking of them as pests haha. They’re just... free spirits?

Let’s see... I have bladder snails (quintessential ‘pest snail’, blueish body, spotted shell, pretty small, never bother a soul), pond snails (Chug the Magnificent and their chuglets, much chunkier, same shell shape as bladder but sort of golden brown and curved the other way), mini ramshorns (crazy tiny, transparent, never grow, wear their shell flat), pink ramshorns (which you CAN pay for if you like but mine came on gift plants from fellow aquarist, unintentionally), and one mystery snail that snuck in on my red val purchase I think. It’s quite the collection :) I’m missing a few common ones still but maybe they’ll come :)
Haha, quite a collection, yes bladder snail is the one I historically have got. Never had the... luck for the other ones :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.