The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rinsing filters question

1171 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  brandon429
OK so you pretty much read everywhere to rinse the things off in "used" tank water.

At first I just said ok...cause what do I know.

But now I'm wondering why exactly...I mean all the Beneficial Bacteria is "sticky" and water changes to not really impact it because the BBs are not in the water column. It all really gathers in the nooks and crannies like sponge filters because that's where the rest of the crap also collects.

And again I understand we want to wash off said crap without ruining the BB growing there...but if we are doing water changes among other to things help "freshen" the environment why would we not also wash the filters in that same treated water?

More I think about it the analogy I have is peeing on a dirty toilet bowl.

Ok maybe not the best analogy...but really...why use dirty water instead of clean treated to rinse sponge filters?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
584 Posts
Lots of old school aquarists rinse in tap water it absolutely does not kill off your bb when using it as a rinse

-a low rumble begins-

To begin the discussion post these details:

What is the generalized aerobic bacteria colony counts coming out of your tap at this moment (consult local water treatment authority for free report)

If tap water sterilizes and bacteria require aquarists to add their feed or they can't get it any other way, why does the chlorinated tap spit living bacteria...how were they getting fed as they existed in pipe scum that had 120 degree water through it daily for decades?

What general grouping do nitrifers fall in?

What insulators are bb found in, or do they present as just single bacteria surrounded by nothing ready for the zap?

What is the contact time established for tap water to sterilize a container of water against all forms of mixed aerobes?

Even on my reef I'll blast rinse the sandbed in tap water sometimes. But I re rinse in distilled or fresh mixed sw just to remove the tap contaminants and to ensure delicate benthic creatures won't encounter any chlorination. On FW setups you can rinse media in tap and then briefly in clean FW as a follow up, or not even post rinse it won't matter considering tank dilutions.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.