The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rinsing filters question

1170 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  brandon429
OK so you pretty much read everywhere to rinse the things off in "used" tank water.

At first I just said ok...cause what do I know.

But now I'm wondering why exactly...I mean all the Beneficial Bacteria is "sticky" and water changes to not really impact it because the BBs are not in the water column. It all really gathers in the nooks and crannies like sponge filters because that's where the rest of the crap also collects.

And again I understand we want to wash off said crap without ruining the BB growing there...but if we are doing water changes among other to things help "freshen" the environment why would we not also wash the filters in that same treated water?

More I think about it the analogy I have is peeing on a dirty toilet bowl.

Ok maybe not the best analogy...but really...why use dirty water instead of clean treated to rinse sponge filters?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,419 Posts
No reason you can't use treated water... Same with tank water, and add long as your tank us established you can even rinse in untreated tap water as long as you don't go crazy. Chlorine and all, the bacteria will bounce back very quickly

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.