The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use poly quilt batting as a polisher in my HOB filters - now I'm wondering if I should be rinsing them in tank water and reusing them as it seems some people do, or can I toss them when dirty and put in new like I have been doing? Does it make that much difference in beneficial bacteria levels? My tanks also have Hamburg Mattenfilters and nylon knee-high stockings full of Matrix biofilter media and pot scrubbers behind the HMF. I tend to push my stocking levels to the max, but I thought what I have is enough to just toss the old poly & put in new. What do you think?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
You said filters (plural) so I expect you may have 2 in one tank. If so, no problem - chuck them about every 2 weeks or so - (it's inexpensive media) - just alternate between filters- one filter at a time - a week apart. I've been doing that for years in my planted discus tank. Rinsing & re-using is not nearly as effective a clarifyng medium, as it's very difficult to rinse them very cleanly, and if you did, you'd likely also be losing a lot of the BB it contains anyway.
If you have more than 1 tank, and only a single filter in each one, then so long as the filter floss doesn't make up a large percentage of your total media - example: if it's less than 25% - you should be just fine. Beneficial bacteria replenish very quickly to resume the level necessary for dealing with your bio-load - in likely less than 24 hours or so.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, discuspaul - I should have been clearer - I'm glad you gave two answers- lol. I have one HOB per tank, plus a HMF in each tank with the media behind each HMF. I'll keep tossing the poly, but I'll alternate so I don't throw both of them away the same week (one is in each HOB compartment, so two per HOB) That's such an obvious solution - sometimes common sense escapes me! :iamwithst

·
Registered
915 Posts
I just have one filter on my tank (a Marineland penguin 200), and when I clean it once a month, I clean all of the filter sponges and ceramic bio-balls in used tank water, then send it down the tub.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I rinse and reuse the quilt batting a few times, but do not worry about losing bacteria when it is worn out. It is not that big a % of the media. Lots more bacteria on everything else.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It gets so nasty, I don't want to rinse it out, not even with vinyl gloves on - lol. So toss it, it is. I just won't toss both parts at the same time anymore.

Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I toss it out and put in new ones everytime. I cut a nice amount of them to the size I need and store them in a ziploc bag.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fortunately, I work in the fabric dept of my store, and so I never forget to pick up batting when I need it - lol. Sometimes I pretend I'm straightening up the batting wall, when really I'm squeezing them all to see which one I want for my fish tanks :hihi:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts