The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after only a few weeks of having my planted tank set up im already thinking about starting another.... gah, forgot how addictive this hobby is!

The rimless tanks with no lids look so sleek and it would be cool for the plant leaves to be able to stick out a bit. But I was wondering peoples experience on fish and rimless tanks. Do fish jump out alot? Are there specific species which jump more and some which dont seem to?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Quick answer: there are about 6(or more) fish and most shrimp that will jump.
Ill let those who might know most of them tell you which they are.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Few fish are known jumpers. My 4 of my 7 endlers and one berried shrimp jumped so far. Well, it doesn't help when you have a bengal cat swatting at you, and sticking his paws in the water.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
In short, all and any fish can jump.

v3

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Most folks would tell you angelfish aren't jumpers. I would answer to most folks that they are wrong. Spook a fish near the waterline and it becomes a candidate. Then there's the frenetic kamakazie fish that will do it because they can.........once.

·
Registered
588 Posts
In short, all and any fish can jump.

v3
Agree.. Any fish that's startled will jump. I have 6 tanks currently with no tops, have had them up for years, have lost maybe 3 fish to jumping and that was during a water change and I didn't notice them leap. Only thing I have ever lost out of tank on their own, was bamboo shrimp. Stupid creatures. Lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
fish jump to get away from a perceived threat. My killi's jumped because the congo tetra are manic and bum rush anything they think has food, or is food. This caused a number of my killis to jump.

other than the killis, i haven't had a single jumper in the past few years w/ all open top tanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is interesting, thanks for your replies. I may look into the glass tops you cant see for my next tank then as I had a plan to have quite a small tank and have mainly shrimp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts