The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably a long shot, but I am preparing to complete equipment for a future rimless tank I'd like to start. I already bought a metering valve (it has to start somewhere, right:)?)
-tank- I have two choices Cube Garden 60-P from ADA or Green Leaf Rimless Aquarium 60-L- what do you think? I would really like to buy ADA, but the two online stores that carry it have it always "out of stock" Where else can I get this tank?
-for lighting I have 24" coralife T5 fixture. Will it be enough or should I look into catalina fixtures?
-filter is eheim 2213 form my current 15g What do you think?
-substrate- I am planning to cap mineralized topsoil with fluorite black sand and I am looking for a MTS kit for 20g (soil with "potash, dolomite and clay" kit)
-CO2- I am looking for a dual stage regulator and solenoid valve and also a 5 or 10lb co2 tank, preferably locally here in NYC
-heater I would probably buy a new in-line hydor ETC

Thanks for your help and offers guys/gals

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm looking at the same two tanks but you need to throw a third into the mix. The Do!Aqua 140-8522 is the exact same size and of course rimless. I think the ADA uses the super clear glass and the GLA and Do!Aqua both use normal plate glass. I really don't know without having them side by side if you could tell the difference. So for me it comes down to craftsmanship and I haven't seen in person any of these tanks so again don't know.

I'm thinking the Eheim 2213 filter would be the right one for this size (17 Gallon) tank and that is the one I plan on using.

I haven't decided on lights but I'm going to use one of Rex's regulators with a Fabco NV-55 needle valve because I allready have it.

For a CO2 tank just find a local welding supply outfit and get a five pound aluminum tank from them. You will buy the tank the first time but don't plan on keeping it because when you go back for a refill they will just exchange it for another full one. (at least that's how it works around here)

I purchased a new JEBO inline heater, it's 100 watts which I think is better for a tank this size. I haven't tried it yet, because I don't have the tank yet, so I don't know how it works but it looks almost exactly like the Hydor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I purchased the JEBO inline heater as well. I assumed it was 300w as I know the line is 16/22, but was surprised that it turned out to be only 100 watts. Seems rather strange.
Haven't used it yet. I am using a 200w Hydor ETC on my 60X45X45cm tank, so the 100 should be fine for a standard 60cm tank.

2213 will work fine on the tank, but if you plan on inline heater and inline Co2 reactor, I would suggest purchasing the 2215. It has a little more power and will be useful when lines and media gets a little dirt, or if you upgrade to a bigger tank. :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the tanks from Dr. Aqua. I can't tell you anything about the quality. The look nice though.
Never heard of. For me it's a choice between GLA tanks or ADA. Anyone have GLA tank? How is it compared to ADA?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, Google only works when you spell it right. :tongue:
Mr. Aqua

The Mr. Aqua tanks are pretty awesome for the price, i picked up a 13.3 gallon rimless bowfront from Marine Depot for $60 shipped. They've gone up in price since I got mine, but are still fairly cheap.

The quality is very good. Great silicone work, polished edges. glass is decent, but not as nice as ADA. I can't tell the difference with water in it though.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I've tried to google that (I always do) but didn't get any results. Anyway, I've got a Christmas bonus from my GF:) so now I have some budget for a new tank. Anyone have a dual stage regulator, co 2 tank and topsoil kits for sale?
What about my lighting- do you think it'll be enough to light up this rimless tank?

This one from MR.Aqua looks nice and has nice size: Mr. Aqua 33.6 Gallon Frameless Glass Aquarium Tank 24.8 x 17.7 x 17.7 Inch http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua...m_Tank_Rectangular-Azoo-AZ1119-FIAQRA-vi.html

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was checking out that tank too, it has great dimensions... lots of room for big scapes.

If its the coralife T5 normal output, don't know it has enough spread to cover the wider tank, or enough power to grow more than low-light plants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.