The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new system. I am looking at ADA, Perfecto, Deep Blue, Glass Cages, Fluval/Hagen, and others. I don't see anyone who offers a rimless 57 gallon tank with a seamless front in low iron glass. Does such a tank exist? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I have become goog-blind - help!

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm in the market for a new system. I am looking at ADA, Perfecto, Deep Blue, Glass Cages, Fluval/Hagen, and others. I don't see anyone who offers a rimless 57 gallon tank with a seamless front in low iron glass. Does such a tank exist? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I have become goog-blind - help!

Thanks folks.
ADA 120P is about 65 gallons. I think that is the closest you are going to get.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea the ADA tanks are nice, and by the looks of it might be what I wind up with, but they don't have the seamless front glass.

Salty: I don't think the distortion is any more noticeable than it is on an acrylic tank. There are plenty of tanks with this type of glass, but all of them have top trim. I am beginning to think that there must be a structural reason. Otherwise I imagine there'd be tanks like this on the market.

Hoppy has/had a seamless 57 gallon tank - I think his is an Oceanic or maybe the Fluval. I never did confirm.

Anyway, I used to have several reef tanks. They were all acrylic with seamless fronts. The nightmare of cleaning them still keeps me awake at night ;-) but the clarity and lack of the joints in the corners *almost* made them worth the headaches. If I could combine the beauty of iron-free glass with seamless joints, I would be a very happy man indeed.

This is my goal at any rate...

Cheers, mates

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I had an acrylic reef in the early 90's. I'd never again consider another one unless it was 300+ gallons. I see the value in low lead glass for SW but not for FW. For me it's the green hue regular glass casts and that's not such an issue in a FW planted. I don't have great eyesight so the clarity isn't a big deal. lol

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have a good point, since FW planted tanks generally have a green cast due to, well, green plants!

I still don't even see any seamless, rimless, regular glass tanks out there... Not one.

Odd, innit...

·
Registered
993 Posts
m00se, have you seen an ADA tank in person? Something like a 60-P or bigger?

My opinion is that the clean silicone jobs are better at being "invisible" than the very distracting distortion brought by seamless corner tanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have had both frameless and bent corner tanks that are intended to have clean lines and they do for about 4 weeks. The reason why tanks have plastic frames is not just aesthetics but to hide the top water line stains and bottom gravel diterous stains. After having them I got tired of maintaining the visible waterline stains and bottom poop stains and sold them. Ill never own a tank that cant hide these top & bottom areas again. In fact Im designing my next DIY tank I intend to build 4'X4'X8' and it will have a 2 inch extended water-tight top rim that will be notched to act as an overflow (actually spilling over into the drain box) to the 145G glass sump below via 3" PVC. I have been selling smaller tanks as I have progressed onto GTS lol:biggrin:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have had both frameless and bent corner tanks that are intended to have clean lines and they do for about 4 weeks. The reason why tanks have plastic frames is not just aesthetics but to hide the top water line stains and bottom gravel diterous stains. After having them I got tired of maintaining the visible waterline stains and bottom poop stains and sold them. Ill never own a tank that cant hide these top & bottom areas again. In fact Im designing my next DIY tank I intend to build 4'X4'X8' and it will have a 2 inch extended water-tight top rim that will be notched to act as an overflow (actually spilling over into the drain box) to the 145G glass sump below via 3" PVC. I have been selling smaller tanks as I have progressed onto GTS lol:biggrin:
That's also a good point CWO4GUNNER. Not a lot of folks realize the added maintenance of keeping that clean look for rimless tanks -- the "stains" at the top are water level stains from evaporation. Very easy to wipe daily, but does get old. Folks with automatic top-off systems might not have this problem though.
No clue about bottom poop stains though. My fish are all too small to have poop big enough to stain glass. Only stains I get at the bottom are when I have GSA outbreaks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's also a good point CWO4GUNNER. Not a lot of folks realize the added maintenance of keeping that clean look for rimless tanks -- the "stains" at the top are water level stains from evaporation. Very easy to wipe daily, but does get old. Folks with automatic top-off systems might not have this problem though.
No clue about bottom poop stains though. My fish are all too small to have poop big enough to stain glass. Only stains I get at the bottom are when I have GSA outbreaks.
Its the brown stained glass below the gravel or sand that works its way down, and while we know we eventually get to it with deep vacuuming, its nice not to have to see it all the time 1/2" below the sand on a rimless tank IMO anyway. Sort of like the reason we don't have clear acrylic toilets, although Im sure its been tried.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I can see both your points, guys... Maybe my dream tank just doesn't exist (yet). I've never seen the ADA tanks in person, so I can't say they would be inadequate. I don't have anyone local to me that has one that I'm aware of. My idea of having the best of both worlds with the clean lines of the rimless tank with the unobstructed view of the edges and that nasty ugly silicone bead not being there....well, it excites me!

I can see how having hard water stains would be unsightly for sure. I would be on top of that though. I'm leaning hard towards wanting a tank with a low stand, too. I want to have it at maybe 25" or even lower a bit, so that the tank viewing area would be closer to eye level when sitting in the easy chair. Also, I am 5'7" tall so getting into the tank with my arms either requires a stool or tongs..

These shallow "tidal pool" tanks look almost perfect - more square than rectangular, lower stands. I would want my tank to be a little deeper - in the 15-18" range - no deeper though.

I should take another look at Amano's stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
993 Posts
m00se, the biggest point of ADA tanks is to not have the "nasty ugly silicone bead". You have to look very closely to see the silicone, and when you do, you'll realize how amazingly clean they do it.

Perhaps you can contact Aqua Forest Aquarium or ADG to send you side by side pics of a ADA tank and a seamless tank. I personally hate the distortion in seamless tanks, but that's only my opinion.

I do understand your efforts in making sure you get what you want. No compromises if possible. Good luck!

EDIT: Careful with making the stand too low. I'm 5'6'', and the Aquatic Fundamentals stand for my ADA 120-P is 28.25" tall. It is just the perfect height for
- my short asian arms when doing tank maintenance,
- when I stand right in front of the tank, I can still have the top view
- when I sit on the couch (4' away from the tank), my line of sight is low enough to enjoy the entire height of the tank.

While 3" less height is probably not much, be careful of going too low, as you'll really work your lower back when doing maintenance

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heh, you just made me fish out my yard stick to check the height of the stand I have under my 30 gallon tank (for the 5000th time - you'd think I would remember this stuff!). It's exactly 28" tall. I'll have to mull over this some more.

So I just got off the phone with a gentleman by the name of Alex at Aqua Vim Products in Queens NY. He is steering me towards this series they manufacture in China:

http://www.aquavim.com/4-ultra_combo.htm

They have a 60 gallon that's rimless and has 45 degree angle cut glass for the corners, and their "almost star fire" clarity glass. If I don't get the complete kit which consists of a sump, assorted filtration and pvc doodads, pump, and light, it would be approximately $1600 with the stand. Another $200 to ship it. He could also have the factory make this tank as shallow as I want it, but I would have to wait for it to be modded, and it would be shipped in a 40' shipping container with the rest of his order - 2-3 months.

I'm not wild about black stands, so this is a possibility but not *quite* there yet.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Good luck m00se! I've never seen tanks with 45 degree angle cut glass, so no clue on that.

If I had the $1600 + shipping to spend, I'd immediately go with ADA 120-P and a custom ADA-style cabinet, and use the leftover for all the other equipment I'll need. But obviously, I'm a big fanboy of ADA products.

......that or a custom 4' x 2' x 18" (height) tank, and custom ADA-style stand.

Anywho, whatever you get, make sure you get at least 18" of space from front glass to back glass. It really sucks to be cramped in space when you're trying to have a nice scape.

If I ever upgrade my ADA 120-P, it'll be 4' x 2' x 18" like I said above.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Heh, you just made me fish out my yard stick to check the height of the stand I have under my 30 gallon tank (for the 5000th time - you'd think I would remember this stuff!). It's exactly 28" tall. I'll have to mull over this some more.

So I just got off the phone with a gentleman by the name of Alex at Aqua Vim Products in Queens NY. He is steering me towards this series they manufacture in China:

http://www.aquavim.com/4-ultra_combo.htm

They have a 60 gallon that's rimless and has 45 degree angle cut glass for the corners, and their "almost star fire" clarity glass. If I don't get the complete kit which consists of a sump, assorted filtration and pvc doodads, pump, and light, it would be approximately $1600 with the stand. Another $200 to ship it. He could also have the factory make this tank as shallow as I want it, but I would have to wait for it to be modded, and it would be shipped in a 40' shipping container with the rest of his order - 2-3 months.

I'm not wild about black stands, so this is a possibility but not *quite* there yet.
1600 for a 60 gallon?!?

is there anything wrong with http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=46 that people arent mentioning them?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sorry m00se, I didn't realize you were looking for a seamless front. ADA does manufacture this type of tank, but they only go up to a 60P and are custom made with bent glass - very expensive!

http://www.adgshop.com/Cube_Garden_Superior_s/120.htm

Glasscages makes custom tanks, but I've heard their workmanship is hit or miss - some people have good luck and other people complain of messy silicone and leaky tanks.

·
Registered
993 Posts
1600 for a 60 gallon?!?

is there anything wrong with http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=46 that people arent mentioning them?
If you search around, a lot of mixed reviews for glasscages, especially on reef forums.

Also, it's 1600 for a custom tank and stand. I don't, however, know the breakdown/details. I just hope the silicone job on this is on par or better than on ADA tanks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good luck m00se! I've never seen tanks with 45 degree angle cut glass, so no clue on that.
Yea I guess they're unique for this type of seam. They claim that it's stronger due to the small increase in glueable surface area. And it's supposedly polished which makes it disappear into the viewing area.

If I had the $1600 + shipping to spend, I'd immediately go with ADA 120-P and a custom ADA-style cabinet, and use the leftover for all the other equipment I'll need. But obviously, I'm a big fanboy of ADA products.

......that or a custom 4' x 2' x 18" (height) tank, and custom ADA-style stand.

Anywho, whatever you get, make sure you get at least 18" of space from front glass to back glass. It really sucks to be cramped in space when you're trying to have a nice scape.
I see these tanks and their stands and my first impression is that I would want a wood stand. Since these tanks are non standard, I would need to have one custom built. This would bring the total up considerably. In another life I could have made one myself, but now that I'm single and living in an apartment: no longer possible. Man I miss my wood shop....

Also, which site(s) are you looking at? Could you pass me a URL or two? I go to http://www.adana-usa.com/ and http://www.adgshop.com but then it takes an hour to drill down to the tanks you're talking about.. :hihi:

BTW, I have no interest in spending $1600 on that Aqua Vim tank and stand. Or any tank and stand for that matter. I should have been more clear on that. I was actually talking to the importer, and I'm pretty sure he quoted me list price. Were I to pursue it, I would call around to his retailers (all in the NYC area) and get a better price. For that kind of money and the compromises I would have to make - no way. It was a non-starter when he told me the only stand they make for it is black... One thing that tank does have that do like is the surface skimmer. Even that would be a compromise because the tank is pre-drilled for it so no choice where it sits in the tank unless I have another hole drilled.

No, that system is not for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts