The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am looking for a rimless tank, Green Leaf and the ADA shop do not have the size i am looking for, does anyone know of another place i can find one?

Thank you

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rimless aquariums in larger sizes are mostly custom jobs as the off the shelf (ada) solutions are about 150-200% more than a custom tank would cost. (not even counting shipping)

If you haven't decided on the details you should give it a bit of thought and decide what material you want the tank made out of (glass or acrylic), do you want it drilled? do you want an overflow for a sump? etc.

Height is going to be the biggest limiting factor in rimless aquariums, material thickness increases to deal with the lack of bracing, increasing costs in both construction and shipping.

I had a 36x24x24 made locally for about half of what a ADA 90-h costs, however my tank had an external overflow built onto the back, was made from 24mm (1") thick acrylic with bull-nosed corners and drilled for return, all options that increase costs. I looked at getting an ADA but for me it was cheaper to go custom and get exactly what i wanted(and slightly over built).

Glass tanks are normally cheaper but are heavy, my tank weights about 88lbs empty about 73% less than a similar glass tank(size and thickness), if it was made from 1" glass it would of weighed 327 lbs empty (glass is .09375 lbs per square inch, 3488 square inches used in the 36x24x24 tank, vs acrylic at 0.02546 lbs per square inch)

If you want to fill 48" of space see if you can go 24" wide, height will determine price more so than width, a 24" tall tank will be MUCH more expensive than a 16" tall tank (IE double for only 6" of height). having a tank with front to back depth opens up a ton of options.

Don't want to turn this into a glass vs acrylic discussion but things to think about are joint strength, scratching, clarity, etc

·
Registered
206 Posts
glasscages.com

Your best bet would probably be to go and pick it up at a show. NY, MD etc... 45-55$ depending, they'll bring it closer to you. The tank is like 300$.. 90$ more for a starphire front panel.. ADA that size is like 600$. Dunno how to pick those up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.