The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to all things planted and am still learning quite a lot. I am wondering if one question I have can be cleared for me. I am dosing EI and understand how that works, but I am not completely clear on how to make sure I am dosing the right amounts- mainly macro level. I understand that I should test for macros, and I understand that each (potassium, nitrogen and phosphate) have a ppm that my tank should be holding at. What I am unsure of is the actual tests that I should be doing for these and how to convert the results into ppm to know what I am looking at. I have an API Master Test kit with all the bells and whistles. Basically I want to make sure I know that I am dosing the right amounts in conjunction with my tanks needs. Any information will be appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Hi all,

I am new to all things planted and am still learning quite a lot. I am wondering if one question I have can be cleared for me. I am dosing EI and understand how that works, but I am not completely clear on how to make sure I am dosing the right amounts- mainly macro level. I understand that I should test for macros, and I understand that each (potassium, nitrogen and phosphate) have a ppm that my tank should be holding at. What I am unsure of is the actual tests that I should be doing for these and how to convert the results into ppm to know what I am looking at. I have an API Master Test kit with all the bells and whistles. Basically I want to make sure I know that I am dosing the right amounts in conjunction with my tanks needs. Any information will be appreciated!!
The EI dosing system is intended to not require any testing. If you have a high light tank, with dense planting, you should be able to dose the amounts shown in the dosing tables, do 50% weekly water changes, and use an appropriate level of CO2, and you will have acceptable concentrations of each of the nutrients. If you don't have high light, or don't have dense planting, or don't have adequate CO2 in the water, you should dose less than those tables say.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Testing and worrying about levels is actually not necessary under any system if everything goes well.

I would look at the plants first before tests because they are the ultimate test kit. Lots of images on the interwebs on nutrient deficiencies and all free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all- Good information to know. I have a high light, Co2 tank that is heavily planted so I will trust the plants. I am battling algae right now, but I believe that may be due to the new setup and an unequal balance at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.