The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riddle me this. I noticed a single solitary baby shrimp in my tank just now. I Ive no idea where it came from…and also if there is one shrimplet you’d think there would be at least a few more. To my knowledge the only berried shrimp I’ve had is one of my snowballs and that is a recent development w/in the past few days… It’s hard to tell at its size but it is either one of my green babaulti shrimp, but I only have 3 of those left (and none that I thought were female), or possibly a snowball. BUT other than the recently berried snowball, none of them have been expecting. I guess it is also possible it is the offspring of one of the Fire Red Cherries, and I didn’t know it was berried. However, it does not look like those. Where did it originate and where are the others?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I mean, obviously you had a berried shrimp and didn't see it. Unless you added new plants from a tank with shrimp, and then you could get a hitchhiker - we've definitely had people end up with surprise fry that way.

But we have no information about your tank and that makes it pretty hard to guess what the rest of the story is. Check your filter compartment though - I'm not saying there are any in there, but it's never a bad place to look. Shrimplets are very good at hiding, but they are also very easy to suck up in a water change. I remove water from my shrimp tank into a container and check it for babies before I throw it out, but that's not practical for a larger tank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They are so very good at hiding. There are probably more that you haven’t seen yet. Side note-do you happen to be in St Paul?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fry by nature are very good at keeping a low profile, it's a survival thing. I've heard the babaultis are smaller than neos and grow slower, so maybe it's one of those?
p.s. I really want some of those but my normal sources for shrimp are always out...

Reactions: greenguppy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are so very good at hiding. There are probably more that you haven’t seen yet. Side note-do you happen to be in St Paul?
I am in Saint Paul. How in the world did you figure that out...and are you?

Also. No plants from tanks w/ shrimp at least not in over a month...and even then I don’t believe they were in a shrimp tank. I did glance down into the filter compartment, although I didn’t pull out the filter, and didn’t see any. They must be hiding and I got lucky to see this brave one. As far as the tank, it wasn’t initially set up as a shrimp tank, but became one by accident and I have recently gotten it to match shrimp happiness because I learn quickly. It’s a 3 Gallon tank w/ a built in filter. It has a mix of fake plants/caves, decaying almond leaves, and some sort of random live plant the shrimp keeper gave me. Also, an assortment of snails...mostly Malaysian trumpet snails because the 2 given to me initially reproduced quickly. I will eventually return the younger ones to the shop when they are big enough to bag. There are currently 8 snowballs (1 of which is berried), 8 fire red shrimp, and 3 green babaulti...and at least one random fry. Tank parameters currently: Kh 7, GH 13, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrate 5 ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Ph 7.2-7.4, Temp 73.5, TDS 513. I have slowly been bringing down the water hardness over the past 2 weeks. I have another planned water change tomorrow. Recently, I’ve done 10% changes every few days (to bring down the hardness), but I typically do a 20% change weekly. I don’t travel vac, hence the snails, but just remove the water with a jar (so I can check for any shrimp or other living creatures) and drip new water back in over a matter of hours. I feed the shrimp M, W, F. I alternate between Fluval shrimp bug bites, sera natural shrimp food, and hikari shrimp cuisine. They finish the food w/in 30min to an hour.

Ultimately, for my birthday in a few months, I want to set up a 5 to 7.5 gallon tank, specifically with all the things I’ve learned in the process for shrimp perfection.

Fry by nature are very good at keeping a low profile, it's a survival thing. I've heard the babaultis are smaller than neos and grow slower, so maybe it's one of those?
p.s. I really want some of those but my normal sources for shrimp are always out...
I would be very happy if it was one of the babaultis as I am aware they are hard to find, and I lost about 3 in the process of getting the tank right in my initial shrimp ignorance. I really Iike them and would love for them to replicate...for myself, but also for others trying to find them. I wasn’t able to get a photo of it, but I do have a short video. It does seem babaulti like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I managed to get a photo, although not great quality, of one of the shrimplets. I’ve seen at least 2 at the same time at this point. One of my snowballs is in this photo. I am fairly certain that the shrimplet is not a snowball as I now have 2 berried ones (w/in the past week to today) and had no berried snowballs before. They are very easy to spot because the eggs are so visible. I am hopeful it is offspring of the babaulti as it currently resembles them. BUT it is plausible that one the Fire Red Cherries I added to the tank w/in the past couple of weeks was berried when I purchased them and I didn’t notice.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Really hard to tell, might have to wait and see with these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts