The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I have a pair of Jack Dempsey's, whom i bought about a year ago. they grew up and mated once a few months ago. had to move everyone out of the tank while the young were growing, as daddy killed a green phantom pleco, and a firemouth cichlid.
after giving away all the young, i moved momma to a community 55 gallon tank. daddy lives alone in the other 55.

long story short, neither of them look particularly happy. it has been about 2 months like this, and both of them just hide all day in their respective caves, whereas before, they were both happily all over the tank.

is there a way, that i can put them together, yet prevent them from successfully breeding? a temperature change perhaps? i read that they dont breed at cooler temperatures, however they seem much happier in warmer water.

perhaps something that can hold it's own against a pair of 5" Jack's? my sister suggested a Pictus, or a Raphael to gobble up the eggs/fry. . .
my spiny eel does a wonderful job of this in the Ram tank, however he wouldn't last a minute against my jacks.

thanks for any input.

Daddy

Momma

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mayhaps when full grown this is true. however, for a pair of 2 year olds with double the needed filtration, they are just fine together in a 55. mating issues aside of course. . .
they will have a much larger tank when they get a bit older.
any input on the mating issue?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
yea.. . we had a beautiful L200, in that tank. about 3" long. and daddy killed him right before the eggs hatched. i would like to avoid getting another large pleco. ... and i think that's what it will take to be safe from the jacks.
if u don't want them to breed just kept 1 Jack Dempsey... if the male killed a pleco the any other catfish won't work...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, i figured a catfish would be a little "quicker on its feet" than another pleco. my sis has one in her oscar / dempsey tank, and it seems healthy as can be. truth be told however, there are no breeding pairs in her tank. . . just single fish.

as for not wanting them to breed, thats kinda what this whole riddle is about. finding a living situation that people might be aware of, that prohibits the eggs from reaching hatching stage. either by getting eaten, or by some other means.
maybe i will drop my gf's bc in there. . .. :tongue:

ps: how many corys are you keeping? (noticed your sig. . )

if u don't want them to breed just kept 1 Jack Dempsey... if the male killed a pleco the any other catfish won't work...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
well, i figured a catfish would be a little "quicker on its feet" than another pleco. my sis has one in her oscar / dempsey tank, and it seems healthy as can be. truth be told however, there are no breeding pairs in her tank. . . just single fish.

as for not wanting them to breed, thats kinda what this whole riddle is about. finding a living situation that people might be aware of, that prohibits the eggs from reaching hatching stage. either by getting eaten, or by some other means.
maybe i will drop my gf's bc in there. . .. :tongue:

ps: how many corys are you keeping? (noticed your sig. . )
I am keeping 4 and what kind of catfish?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.