The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that riccia has to have very high light for it to stay healthy and grow. Would 3wpg be fine for riccia? Is 3wpg even high light? I always thought of it as medium but give some opinions:fish:

Smalltank

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
With Riccia the more wattage the faster it grows. I grow the stuff in a 1g with 9w over it. Not much light at all considering most of the light doesn't even hit the tank.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
riccia grows fairly quick under 3wpg for me. a hitchhiker the size of a BB turned into a baseball size mat on the surface within a few weeks. I would consider 3wpg to be high light worthy of ferts and co2 to get the most out of it for picky plants, but the others are probably right about riccia not being too demanding.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Be careful with Riccia.

When trimmed, it can quickly become a nuisance. Any piece of Riccia that winds up somewhere else will start to grow.

I have some sinking Riccia (even worse than floating) in a mat of moss that refuses to leave. I keep pulling it out and it just grows back.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Ricca is almost impossible to kill! I have it growing in my 1.5wpg 10g tank and my 55g tank with quite a bit of light.....

Just don't dump excell on it, it will loose all color then start to come back slowly.

-Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts