The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good size chunk of Riccia, and am trying to get a Jave Fern, Anubias nana and petit. I was hoping to put them all onto a fairly large piece of driftwood I ordered. I've read that the Riccia, althought you can tie it to driftwood, does'nt anchor itself to the wood. Does that mean that whatever I tie it down with has to stay perminantly (like fishing line)?
Once I do tie the Riccia down, can I tie the fern and Anubias right over it? Or should I tie them down and then put the Riccia around it? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
You are right, Riccia will not anchor itself to the wood like Java Fern and Anubias sp. will. As a result, whatever you use to tie it down will have to stay permanently (i.e. fishing line or black cotton thread, etc). You can use a black hair net to minimize the amount of work.

You can tie the Riccia down first and then the Anubias and Fern over the Riccia, or vice versa. The order does not really matter. However, do note that the Riccia may overwhelm the rhizomes of the Fern or the Anubias.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. By overwhelm do you mean overgrow the rhizomes? How will that effect them? Will it rob them of nutrients? Or will it prevent them from latching on properly?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would assume that riccia growth would inhibit the water circulation to the other plants. Another thing to take note - riccia requires quite a bit of light exposure whereas java fern and anubias sp don't need as much. In my experiences, giving java fern and anubias high lighting tend to produce GSA or BBA on their leaves.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Cotton thread dissolves. Nylon does not. I actually have a special kind of nylon thread that is magicians thread. Its "invisible" totally see thru and does not reflect light, so it will blend into anything. Pretty cool stuff. It can support up to 40 pounds before breaking,

I guess what he means is the Riccia will grow over the rhizomes, covering them up. That will only happen if the rhizomes are smack in the middle of the riccia netting, because the riccia will only grow where it is tied down, because otherwise the loose riccia will just float up.

I think you would have the opposite to worry about. If the ferns and anubias are too close to the riccia, they will block light to the riccia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts