The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
You can't let riccia grow into "a nice large ball" as it will break free if the lower portion does not get enough light and dies off. I tried riccia rocks for a bit but slacked on trimming and they all broke loose. Lava rock or slate are two easy to obtain cheap rocks that are inert. I'd recommend getting a shower sponge/scrunchie and using that mesh to hold down the riccia.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't let riccia grow into "a nice large ball" as it will break free if the lower portion does not get enough light and dies off. I tried riccia rocks for a bit but slacked on trimming and they all broke loose. Lava rock or slate are two easy to obtain cheap rocks that are inert. I'd recommend getting a shower sponge/scrunchie and using that mesh to hold down the riccia.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will try it

·
Registered
872 Posts
I tied mine with sewing thread nice n tight to rocks, everytime it's getting ready to outgrow the stone, I trim and tie it onto a new one.

The shower caps work good too, but I like regular old thread more and it's easier to work with IMO. I do the same for subwassertang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.