The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm needing a very low growing foreground plant, lower than glosso. Since we don't get HC readily over her, I'm going to use riccia.

Is it possible to lay a thin layer of riccia (1cm) straight onto the sand and put a wide mesh net over that, just weighed down on the corners?

Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
That would probably work. Or you could stuff some riccia between two mesh, kind of like a sandwich. You would be able to move it easier that way during a rescape. You would also need to continuously trim the riccia becuase it grows fast and will grow higher than glosso.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Borders? New Zealand is an island, no borders. Lol. MAF is really strict here too, not allowed much stuff in. I tried to do the sandwhich thing but it wasn't working, so I netted it down to a few long pebbles so it should grow and glosso will fill the gaps between the pebbles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
i am also considering a ricccia carpet...i know it grows like mad with co2,but if there sint any co2 and ferts...will it still grow?

·
Registered
326 Posts
riccia is a pest in south africa, my tank included...

they are strict... when i went to new zealand a few years back, they asked me if i had been on a farm recently, i said yes, they took my shoes away and brought them back dry cleaned..

they let riccia in but not hc?

guess they trying to avoid a another possum plague...

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If you do go with a Riccia carpet, make sure you invest in a good brine shrimp net. You will need it to scoop up all the metric tons of Riccia that will float up to the surface and muck your tank up. Oh yeah, also invest in a whole lot of patience. :eek5:

Riccia is beautiful, but it comes at a price...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've found Riccia to be a little more manageable if attached to flat pieces of slate or sandstone. If possible grow the riccia out in a high tech tank and then move it to a low tech tank. You'll get fuller, low tech riccia carpets this way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
im thinking wether t get riccia or a dwarf hairgrass carpet...but DHG are hard to find....but ive heard theyre easy to care for even without co2

·
Registered
167 Posts
oh yea....im also considering makin a riccia wall for my 5.5g...i saw one in the store and it grew really beautiful

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
This is a partial pic of a 55 I had a few years ago with a riccia carpet. I placed the riccia on flat stones and held it down with hair nets. It covered the entire tank and I loved the look of it but trimming it was a royal pain. Little bits would get everywhere and I never could manage to get all the clippings out. I finally got rid of it when I moved to a 75. I've thought off and on of starting one again but the mess from trimming keeps me from it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What a PITA it would be to trim in the tank with all those stems. A gorgeous tank for sure, but there's a price to pay for that kind of beauty.

Maybe something more like this

would be better in terms of maintainence. Down_shift posted that pic from his trip to China.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.