The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again. This tank has been set up for about 3 weeks. I made the mistake early on by having my lights on at max, and then hair algae/Rhizoclonium set in. EDIT: maybe these are filamentous diatoms???

Plant Plant community Vertebrate Botany Rectangle

I've since done a 2-day black out (not sure it helped), almost daily manual removal, excel (normal dose), and have reduced my lights to 50% intensity for 6 hrs daily. CO2 is running for 7 hrs daily and giving me almost a 1-point pH drop, although I'm still working on getting this all dialed in. Eheim Classic 2211 filtration plus a surface skimmer. Thrive + fertilizer, 2x/week. I have a couple of white cloud minnows and ghost shrimp in there.
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Leaf vegetable Ingredient

I'm getting pretty frustrated because yesterday I felt like I was at a turning point in this battle, but today the algae seems to be worse. I'm almost tempted to just tear out the micro sword and replace it with something new. Or should I just leave things alone and hope that my plants will outcompete someday? I'm getting reasonably decent growth, although nothing too spectacular.
Plant Bird Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Terrestrial animal

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Grass Aquatic plant

Algae makes the sand look pretty dirty. Monte Carlo growth seems to have slowed a bit.

Water Plant Plant community Botany Vegetation

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
When you have a new tank, algae always develops after the first few weeks and it can be hard to figure out whether this is just part of the process or there is something really wrong.

Take a look at how this guy analyses things in his new tank. Are plants looking green? Are new shoots developing? If so you're on the right track and all you need is a proper clean.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you have a new tank, algae always develops after the first few weeks and it can be hard to figure out whether this is just part of the process or there is something really wrong.

Take a look at how this guy analyses things in his new tank. Are plants looking green? Are new shoots developing? If so you're on the right track and all you need is a proper clean.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Thanks, this is helpful. I do have new, green shoots, so hopefully this is just new tank stuff.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes - as long as the plants you want are growing, everything else is salvageable

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts