The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. As a sort of follow up to my CO2 thread a bit down, I am now wondering if I could get some input on the Rhinox 5000. I'm seeing that a lot of you seem to use Rhinox and are apparently happy?

What I want to do is buy two (would two 5000's be overkill?) and install them on both sides of my 125g for even distribution.

Now here's where my equipment cluelessness comes into play, please bare with me :)

I need a manifold to split the lines to both, yes?
Do I need to attach a powerhead to the Rhinox.... errr what?

I appreciate your help and patience guys, thanks :)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I need a manifold to split the lines to both, yes?
Do I need to attach a powerhead to the Rhinox.... errr what?

I appreciate your help and patience guys, thanks :)
Yes you would need a manifold to split the output, otherwise if you just use a "T", the CO2 will travel the path of least resistance.

The Rhinox diffuser does not need a power head, but you will want a way to help distribute the bubbles.
If you are running 2 filters, put 1 diffuser in the path of the outflow of each filter, otherwise 1 in the filter output, the other with a powerhead.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm..

Well, I'm at about 5-6 bubbles per second, but I'm thinking I could lessen it if adding the Rhinox because they appear to be a more efficient way of dispersing the CO2 into the water.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Jessica,

For an aquarium over 100 gallons, I personally would strongly consider using a reactor instead of any kind of diffusor, even the great and wonderful Rhinox! With either an internal or external reactor, you will get superior C02 absorbtion without having to worry about splitting the line and getting a manifold. A reactor in my opinion would be much more stable. The diffusors will have to be removed and cleaned quite frequently as they are very prone to get clogged. The smaller the pores on the ceramic disk, (which make the small bubbles) the easier and quicker they will get clogged, and if you get too lazy to clean it right away, the longer you wait the harder it is to clean and they become permanantly clogged.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
125g is a 4 ft tank, right? Only real difference compared to a 90g is 24" wide, instead of 18", right? I'm running a single Rhinox 5000 under one of my filter's spraybars and its working great. A reactor might work just fine, but I think that just goes back to the argument of whether a diffuser or reactor is better? The answer? Depends on the application and your taste.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob, you're the best. BTW, your plants are sparkling and beautiful.
What I already have is the Power Reactor, like you offer on your site. It seems to form huge pockets at the very bottom/mouth of it and I can tell that's gass wasted, no? I should probably push the little sponge further down, but I'm curious if it is enough for the size of my tank.

ringram, my 125g is 6ft :) to be honest, I don't know enough about reactors and diffusers for the whole which-is-better-argument.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Jessica,
FWIW, I also have a 125, and I am running 2 separate reactors off my 2 filters to spread the CO2 goodness. 6' is a long way to push water around.

For now I definitely would push the sponge down further to see if that helps dissolve more CO2 for you.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think one of the reasons the ceramic diffusors seem to get dirty and clog some is not enough gas being pushed them. I have 5000 on a 75 gal, and it seems to get dirty fairly quick. If I put any more pressure to it the CO2 level becomes to high. I have a tiny nano diffusor on a 20Long that I am really pushing the gas to it and I have not cleaned it in 2.5 months. A lot of people run 5000 and 2000 on 75 and 90 gal 4 foot tanks. I do not see such a huge difference between my 125 gal 6 foot tank and my 75 gal 4 foot tank that 2 diffusors would not be more than enough on a 6 foot tank. Both reactors and diffusors have their own + and - , I happen to prefer a diffusor, because that is what has worked best for me. YMMV

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yeah, for a 6 ft tank I would use either two diffusers, a reactor or some combination of the two. 6 ft is a long way to push it around with just one filter. I use mine on a 4 ft tank and that's about the max I would go with just one diffuser.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm much more lost in this than I thought :D

I do not currently have my CO2 connected or affiliated with either of my filters (Fluval 405 & Eheim Ecco2232).

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
If you use a diffuser, such as a Rhinox, the only thing you'll need a filter for is to help circulate. This will be attained by simply placing the diffuser on the inside glass of the tank, below your filter's spray bar. The bubbles will rise and be pushed across the tank by the spraybar, helping to ensure that they don't simply diffuse up and out of the tank.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
There are other reactors besides the Plantguild power reactor. Aqua Medic makes one called the Reactor 1000. It can sit under your aquarium and attach to a cannister filter or pump, or even hang on the back of the aquarium attached to a pump. Attached to the cannister filter, the outflow water from the filter attaches to the reactor, so the water travels from the aquarium, throught the filter, and then through the C02 reactor into your aquarium. The reactor has the equivalant of plastic bio balls inside of it which break up the C02 bubbles. It has much more surface area than the Plantguild power reactor. I don't sell the Reactor 1000, but you can find it on the internet easily from the big super mail order sites.

Glad to hear the plants are doing well.. I didn't realize you were the same Jessica!

I am convinced all ceramic disk glass or plastic diffusers work the same. Some people still argue differently, but I don't care who is selling them or who makes them, they all have the same problems and the same advantages.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts