The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An auction on ebay that is selling the Rhinox 5000 states that it is "compatible for pressurized CO2 tanks with at least 5 bubbles per second injection rate". Has anyone found they can use the diffuser with less bps?

·
Registered
941 Posts
as long as you have consistant pressure there should not be a problem.
i can run my system at 1 bps and it will work fine.
it wont be much co2 but it will work.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to have the flexibility to run it lower. I'll probably buy it since a lot of people on the forum use it and seem to like it but I don't know why the ad would say it needed to be 5 bps or above. But you have one and you don't see that it necessarily has to be at that level. That's good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You need to understand that if you are only running one bps, most likely you will not be getting bubbles out of the whole disk. From what I understand aquaticmagic was getting complaints about the 5000 from people saying their whole disc was not diffusing bubbles. The problem was that these people were not using enough co2 to utilize the rhinox 5000. That statement is there to simply stop complaints.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

·
Registered
941 Posts
what size is your tank?
i have mine in a 75 gallon and its a pretty big diffuser.
it would look unsightly to have such a big diffuser for a smaller tank.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I have a 5000 in my 90g tank and it looks fine...not too large at all IMO. I have it running at about 3 bubbles/sec roughly. I'm only getting bubbles coming out of one side of the disk, with a few on the other side, but it doesn't seem to matter as Co2 levels are fine and plants are happy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't care about having bubbles coming out of every crevice, as long as I get the Co2 levels I need. Once every 2-3 weeks or so, I soak it in a large measuring cup filled with water and a few TBSP's of bleach. I let that soak for maybe an hour, or until it turns white again. That seems to work fine.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I ordered a Rhinox 5000 a while back because of the claim that it would work with DIY CO2. With 2 - 4L jugs of solution, I got nothing. I think that's why they have now put in the disclaimer. I do have pressurized on that particular tank (Just got the 20 lb tank today) and actually ordered and received 2 Rhinox 2000's. We'll see how they work. IMO, why get such a large diffusor if you don't need it? At 1 bps, any of the nano diffusors would work.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
...IMO, why get such a large diffusor if you don't need it? At 1 bps, any of the nano diffusors would work.
I would imagine that a large diffuser provides greater (potential) surface area for Co2 exchange into the water. It all would depend on the size of your tank. Most recommend the 2000 for tanks smaller than about 75g. For tanks ~125g and up, I think they recommend 2 x 5000. Most nano tanks (10-15 and under) should be fine with a Rhinox 1000.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would imagine that a large diffuser provides greater (potential) surface area for Co2 exchange into the water. It all would depend on the size of your tank. Most recommend the 2000 for tanks smaller than about 75g. For tanks ~125g and up, I think they recommend 2 x 5000. Most nano tanks (10-15 and under) should be fine with a Rhinox 1000.
No question about that. More CO2 requirements = bigger diffusing area needed. However, if the bubble rate is 1bps, I'd imagine < 10% of the 5000's surface area would be used. That's the thing that's not making sense to me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My tank is a 55 gallon. Would the Rhinox 2000 be more appropriate or does it matter? I already oredered the Rhinox 5000 plus a duplicate to use while the other one's being cleaned.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Excess capacity does not matter. You just don't need the extra surface area. To me, the smaller and less obstrusive the diffuser is, the better. But some people like to see the glassware and that's fine too. I just prefer not to have to pay more than I have to, and to have a big diffuser in the tank, unless I have the need for the extra surface area.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like to make the equipment as unobtrusive as possible. I think what I will do is order now the Rhinox 2000s and try to sell the Rhinox 5000s.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now I'm confused...the ad for the Rhinox 2000 says it's for 20-40 gallon tanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts
just try the 5000 to see if you like it.
if you don't, go with the smaller one.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Go with the Rhinox 5000 and just crank up the CO2 to hit the 30ppm minimum. If you don't want to see it, hide it between plants...all you'll see are bubbles coming up from behind the plants.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Now I'm confused...the ad for the Rhinox 2000 says it's for 20-40 gallon tanks.

I am running 2 of them in a low light 125 gallon tank via a manifold. If you have really high light, the 5000 may be fore you. For me, I needed better perfusion, and not more because the tank is 6 foot long, so 2 2000's were a better option.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback; I'll stay with the 5000 and hide it with plants. :icon_smil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts