The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm using 5050 RGB LED strip lights and a TC420 to control them. Does anyone know of a color chart or table showing a spectrum of colors and what percentages each color (RGB) needs to be, to achieve the desired color?

I've searched on google and it only returns results on hex/255,255,255 color charts. The TC420 uses intensities ranging from 0 to 100%.

A chart would be ideal. A converter from hex to percentages would work also.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm using 5050 RGB LED strip lights and a TC420 to control them. Does anyone know of a color chart or table showing a spectrum of colors and what percentages each color (RGB) needs to be, to achieve the desired color?

I've searched on google and it only returns results on hex/255,255,255 color charts. The TC420 uses intensities ranging from 0 to 100%.

A chart would be ideal. A converter from hex to percentages would work also.
Partial (chart for the color blind) :

since percents can be deceiving in electronics.. see how these match first before continuing your quest..
Easy enough to convert 0-255 colors to percents manually..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Partial (chart for the color blind) :

since percents can be deceiving in electronics.. see how these match first before continuing your quest..
Easy enough to convert 0-255 colors to percents manually..

I was wondering if the percentages of 255,255,255 RGB values from photoshop would work.

For instance, if a color I wanted had an RGB value of 25,25,25 in Photoshop, does that mean to replicate a similar color in the lights I would need to go 10% on each color?

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
I was wondering if the percentages of 255,255,255 RGB values from photoshop would work.

For instance, if a color I wanted had an RGB value of 25,25,25 in Photoshop, does that mean to replicate a similar color in the lights I would need to go 10% on each color?
That chart has a percent column and corresponding photoshop rgb.... See how close it "fits".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not entirely sure how well that conversion will work out. There's a lot more to LED color mixing than just RGB values.

However, I felt like tinkering with some javascript and wrote a simple online converter. These small projects help me learn hence the reason I bothered.

RGB to Percent Color converter

Dude. This great. Thanks for sharing. I'll try it out. Did you give it a shot to see how close they match?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Dude. This great. Thanks for sharing. I'll try it out. Did you give it a shot to see how close they match?
No. I don't have the LED strip you have. Let me know how close it is.

Now that my curiosity is peaked about LED color mixing maybe I'll look into an actual calculator for it. There is a LOT of variables that need to be considered but seems doable. The only one I found is a Windows version offered by Cree and only for their LEDs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.