The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm debating which one of these to build. RG reactor I can easily find the parts, but Cerges reactor I've ordered the filter online, as I didn't find any water heater at my local Home Depot and don't feel like trying to look around more. I just want to discuss which one you guys like better in this thread and the drawbacks/benefits of each.

Also, for the RG reactor, I assume that the water flows from the bottom to the top? Or is it entering from the top and going down to the bottom?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
It should be from top to bottom so co2 has to work against the flow. Cerges reactors are better in that they don't reduce flow.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. Plus side to the RG reactor is that I can make it asap (like tomorrow) and have it working by Sunday, whereas the Cerges one I won't get the filter housing shipped in until late next week. I'll be blacking out my plants for like 1.5 weeks with the Cerges one. I will probably just build both, and use the RG reactor until I can build the Cerges one.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why, exactly, does a cerges reactor reduce flow any less than a rg reactor?
also interested.

As an additional question, I've never used PVC primer/cement before. Any tips I should know about? Or is it pretty straightforward, apply primer, allow to dry for a minute, apply glue to both surfaces and push in? How long after I finish before it's safe to be put to use?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
A cerge's reactor has a lower internal diameter through which the water must flow when compared to a RG reactor which is going to be about 4-5" in diameter. More diameter = lower flow. (My theory)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
A cerge's reactor has a lower internal diameter through which the water must flow when compared to a RG reactor which is going to be about 4-5" in diameter. More diameter = lower flow. (My theory)
I've never seen a RG with a 5 inch diameter. Mine had a 3 inch diameter. I'd say actual space is pretty close with the cerges.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
also interested.

As an additional question, I've never used PVC primer/cement before. Any tips I should know about? Or is it pretty straightforward, apply primer, allow to dry for a minute, apply glue to both surfaces and push in? How long after I finish before it's safe to be put to use?
Pretty straight forward. You prime then cement. You don't need to let the cleaner dry before cementing. Just don't puddle it. Add the cement and push the parts together immediately as far as they go, then twist 1/4 turn to seat. Then HOLD them together, as they have a tendency to pop apart slightly until the cement sets up (seconds). You can use the pipe almost immediately. In plumbing they cement and go. Full pressure in 1 hour. In the aquarium you can wait a couple of hours, but the cement is organic solvent and quite volatile so it dissipates very quickly. You won't hurt any animals if you put the cemented joints into service as soon as the glue is dry to the touch (again, minutes)...

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I like the Cerges reactor design over the RG, it does need a few upgrades that could be taken from the CarbonDoser EXT5000. A clear housing, the scrubby mid way up the center/exit tubing, a brass 1/4" barb fitting, and if you want to go all the way a little Rio 90 pump in the bottom.

IMO as Rex would say, the design of the Cerges insures the gas will be completely mixed with the water if executed properly, the RG is a little behind in this are but is also a good reactor.

I think the main thing you should be thinking about is how either is going to be powered.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
PVC primer is mainly a cleaner and it doesn't need any dry time, the glue is applied and then the two items should be held together for a minute or two, if not they could seperate a little, but it's very easy to use. Just remember to do it outside unless you are looking to burn some brain cells.

PS the Cerges doesn't need any 90's if you do it correctly, but if everything is properly sized very little flow will be lost with either.

The thing about the Cerges is the gas and water will be mixed/desolved totally before exiting thru the bottom pick up because gas will naturally rise, then the added benifit of the scrubby mid way is to absolutly insure that this happens by not letting any bubbles get past this point.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
My rg reactor was also really easy. I found the parts at hd first try, cemented it together and it was cured and airing within about 10 minutes. There just aren't that many parts!

I like the rg form, actually , because it's space efficient, too and barely takes up any space in the cabinet.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
You could combine the 2 designs with a center tube used for the outlet on the RG, they are very close in design with RG being more water flow effecient and the Cerges being more effecient is disolving CO2 gas. Just think Dave if your RG had a center tube with a scrubby attached half way, it would be the same.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What exactly are you looking for??????
They don't have the 2" reducing Tee with the 3/4" threaded side port AND they didn't even have a 2" unthreaded plug.

edit: So instead of the 2" reducing tee with the 3/4" threaded side port, I just went with a regular 2" Tee and put a 2" to 3/4" reducer bushing in the side port. Should do the same thing, now I just need to find a plug.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.