The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My L144 bristlenose apparently did not approve of the transfer to his new tank, as he jammed himself into a tiny hole in a piece of driftwood. The hole had been covered by substrate in his old tank, so I had forgotten it was there. :( When he still hadn't gotten himself free by morning we managed to get a light in there to see he was bent double and had his head firmly wedged in a crevice. The end result was a blunt dissection probe and a pair of feeding tweezers got him free, but he's really beaten up at the moment. I dosed both Melafix and Pimafix to help him out, but his fins are trashed, his body is creased where he was bent, and he has open sores on his head. There appears to be some bruising and red streaks on his body as well, and the barbels? Whatever the sharp pointy things on the side of their mouths are, appears to be permanently extended at the moment.

He has moved around a bit, but it's hard to imagine he can pull through this with as bad as he looks. Is there anything else I can do to help him besides the Melafix and regular water changes? There are cherry shrimp in the tank as well, and while the bristlenose is my first consideration I'd rather not harm them (or have to try and remove them) if possible.

Always check your ornaments and driftwood for death traps, folks. :(

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sorry to hear about your BN. I made a post yesterday morning about our 3 and a half year old shubunkin, Nuke, who had gotten herself stuck to one of the filter intakes.

I performed a 15% water change yesterday and dosed melafix but unfortunately, she was on her side, hardly moving, this morning when we woke up. As much as it hurts to say, it seems that she will pass before the night is over. :frown:

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your BN and I hope he can somehow pull through. I don't have any suggestions other than to try to make him as comfortable as possible.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm sorry that has happened to your little BN, same thing happened to mine, i had a cave for him and one night he must have grown and couldn't get out and got his head stuck, we had to break the ornament to get him out but he died before we could get to him...

I hope your little one heals, i would make sure his water is very clean, but make sure there is food right there for him to eat.

I would love to hear some updates on him as he heals!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's still hanging in there for the moment. I expect if there had been a great deal of internal trauma, he'd have died by now, so I'm going to work on preventing secondary infections. He still hasn't eaten, so that's the next worry. It does look as if the spikey appendages on the side of his mouth have retracted somewhat.

Not the best start to my new tank, that's for sure.

·
Registered
529 Posts
How's the L144 doing today? That sounds like a nasty fix he got himself into. I've read on other forums and here as well to just push the cleanest water possible for the fish which you're doing with the water changes, and watch the water temp to be sure it's in the ideal range for the fish to promote good health and metabolism for healing.

It may not want food and may be too stressed from just the move, not to mention the injuries, to eat. If it was in good health previously, you may be ok to let him fast for another couple days before offering food again. It may help also if the tank is in an area with lots of activity to cover it with a towel to keep the stress down.

I sure hope he does well for you!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How's the L144 doing today? That sounds like a nasty fix he got himself into.
So far so good. He moved about a bit and is hanging out on the filter intake/heater, which was one of his usual spots in the old tank. If he's still doing all right tomorrow and no infections have developed, I'll cautiously believe he'll make it through. I do wonder if the obvious bend in his lower body will right itself, but at this point I'm just surprised he survived with how he was folded into that hole.

I'll try and get a picture of him this weekend to show the damage. At the very least it might be helpful for documenting just what sort of trauma these guys can handle.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It must be something with these BN's that they like to squeeze in tight spots. I was just installing my 1st DIY drop checker that I just made and noticed that one of my Albinos was inside my Koralia water circulator cage (I leave it off most of the time) and had to pop it apart to get him out!

I sure hope your guy makes a full recovery! Just be optimistic about it, I have seen some fish come back from some bad conditions. They are some tough little buggers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like he's made an almost full recovery. He's still bent at an odd angle where his tail meets his body, but all the bruising and sores have healed up after a week of Melafix and Pimafix in the tank. He was moving around last night to where some algae wafers were hidden behind the driftwood, so it seems he's eating. They are tough fish for sure. Thank goodness, considering he's my favourite fish. :)

Thanks for the suggestions and words of encouragement!

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Wilder I just saw this! You did all the right things, for sure! They are buggers sometimes about ending up in odd spots. I had a breeder female go so far into the breeding cave head to head with the male....she got stuck. I didn't see it right away. There was no pulling her out either. All I had and could see was a tiny bit of tail end, very limp and frayed by the thrashing she must have done earlier in the day. I took the clay cave, made sure it was full of water, and went out to the garage to gently "hammer" the cave apart. She looked bad, didn't move at all for a couple of days. But she recovered very nicely. Glad your pleco made it. Give the crook time, but he may have damaged it permanently where the tail meets the body. He's still the same fish!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts