The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I began the arduous process of swapping one aquarium setup for another. Given the task ahead of me, I decided to go to the local big box store and splurge on a Python water changer as I've seen how convenient they can make water changes in the past. Unfortunately, when I got there I discovered they do not carry the Python brand of vacuums but rather the in-house NatGeo brand. I figured it must be essentially the same thing so I picked it up.... for $60.00. Just FYI, a Python can be had on Amazon for $36.00 + S&H.

I hooked it up to the sink with some difficulty. The amount of thread they provide to screw onto the sink is dubious and the plastic feels very cheap but I managed to get it to seal on there. It didn't leak on the fitting connected to the faucet but it did leak further down on the sink adapter no matter how tight I managed to get it. The compression fittings on the sink adapter and the valve at the other end work fine although they feel similarly cheap. I was a little disappointed that for 60 bucks it did not come preassembled. I opened the tap with the vacuum tube sticking in the aquarium and....nothing. I opened both taps and the water began to flow albeit very slowly. Very, very slowly. Let me just say that the tubing diameter on this thing is kind of a joke. I just let it run on one tap with the other open slightly because running both to get adequate flow would, in conjunction with the water from the tank, overcome the drainage capacity for the humble bathroom sink it was connected to. It took almost and hour to drain two 20 gallon tanks vs less than 10 minutes with a submersible pump and the bucket brigade. This POS is going back tomorrow and I would advise you to steer clear. I bet it would take five hours to do a water change on a 210 gallon with this thing.

If you need it in a pinch like me, it still isn't worth it. Just do yourself a favor and buy the Python instead. Or, better yet, just go to Home Depot or Lowes and piece together a far superior system for less money still.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It uses the same hose diameter as the python, but the fittings are junk. I picked up the 50' the other day just for the tubing. It was on clearance for half price. I located some garden hose fittings for 1/2" tubing and will use it along side my python so I can change 2 tanks at once. All of these work better if you fill the hose with tap water first before trying to drain.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the fittings being garbage were my serious gripe with it. I think that's why it didn't work very well was because the leaks between the fittings on the adapter wouldn't permit a continuous siphon to form.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I always felt like the Python gave me the same problems. I still love to use it for filling, but I mixed things up a little bit when I drain. I put the end of the Python in the tub or out the window while in the open drain position. Then I dip the intake and fill it in the tank then lift it up to get the sucation moving. Dip it back in and I am good to go. Nice thing about draining this way is not having to waste water while draining. I still feel like it doesn't suck as well as a normal gravel vac but then again you don't need to do a deep vacuum in a planted tank

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Luckily my big tanks are all near windows, but this thread just made me decide to run plumbing through the roof and install taps at my tanks, I'm tired of having to fetch the garden hose in to fill tanks.... plus it will start raining soon, then the thing will be wet too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.