The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new planted tank, planted 1 hour ago (pictures coming soon).

they tank has been running and cycling for a week or so. Ammonia was .25 this morning.

tank has 40 lbs of Eco Complete, 50 lbs of colorquartz. I am currently lighting it with 2 24watt HO t-5 10000K lights, for 5 hours. Tank volume is 50 gallons, has about 40 gallons of water in it.

So here is what I am wondering ... when to feed the tank?

I am going to light the tank for 1 week with 50 watts of HO t-5 moving the lighting period from 5 hours to 8 hours over the week.

After the week I will start adding 1 hour of 175 watt 6500K MH (no t-5 during the MH period). I will slowly over 2 weeks ramp the MH up to 3 hours.

I have pressurized CO2 running at 30 bubbles per minute right now, only when the lights are on.

I was not going to feed the tank Fertz until I had the MH up to 3 the full 3 hours. Then slowly increase the fertz to what I am estimating the normal routine will be.

Does that sound about the right time to add fertz, or do I need to add some sooner?

When should I add my first fish?

Today when I planted I drained nearly the full 40 gallons from the display, and refilled with new water.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
With the 2x24w of T5HO, you'll be fine with no ferts for a bit. You might want to add traces twice a week. Keep the co2 going.

Once you start up the MH, I would start a complete dosing regiment.

Keep testing. When ammonia and nitrite read 0, you can add fish. It shouldn't take too long now that it's fully planted, 2, maybe 3 weeks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I assume this is a 24 inch cube aquarium? With a pair of 24 inch T5HO lights on it? If so, you now have low light intensity at the substrate. What did you plant? Without all of that information it is hard to guess what you should be doing now. But, in general, once you plant the tank you want the plants to grow, so you have to provide what they need to grow - light and nutrients. There is no reason to wait to do that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, I thought that the Aquatic soils had enough nutrients for the first few weeks. I can start dosing at anytime, I just did not want to create an algae bloom because I was being to aggressive.

I do not know the names of all the plants I planted, and I planted way too many and will have to thin it out, i do believe, as things get going. Here are some images of what is in the tank.

This is from the left side looking down the back of the tank... the "Tall plants" :)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That is not too many plants to start out. You have what is meant by a heavily planted tank. So, now you need to give them the nutrients they need. Algae is not started by dosing fertilizers, unless you are dosing ammonia or urea, which will usually start a green water bloom.

I suggest playing with the CO2 system to learn how to get the CO2 concentration up to the optimum level for high light. Even with low light that will help the plants to grow more rapidly and with better health. If you don't have a drop checker and are feeling a little nervous about adding CO2, get a drop checker so you can find out when you are getting into the right ballpark for good CO2. Otherwise, just add more bubble rate every day until you notice some plants pearling within a couple of hours after the lights come on. (This assumes you are also dosing nitrates, phosphates, potassium and trace elements adequately.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts