The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Tanksters!

I'm getting an aquarium again for the first time in almost 6 years. I started way back when I was 2 feet tall with a betta in a bowl, which evolved into a 10g with 4 fish and a snail, which by high school exploded into 55g tropical community! Sadly, that did not survive my college years, but now that I'm in my first apartment, I figured I need some fishy roommates (in a much smaller tank)!

I've never done live plants before, so really excited about adding the new layer of complexity (and about 5 layers of beauty) to my tank. And SUPER glad I found this site! I've just about gone cross-eyed reading all the setup articles and tank journals over the last...6 hours :icon_eek:

Just what I end up getting is still in the air, but I'll be posting questions and starting up my own tank journal soon!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Welcome Cynglen!

As you've noticed, many people here to offer advice. Just post what you are thinking of doing and others can give their input.

See you around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to TPT, what size tank are you thinking?
I am severely torn across the range of 5 to 20g. I live in a 3rd story apartment, so the eventual move-out means I don't want to have a bunch of delicate stuff to risk losing, but also I don't want to restrict myself to where I can't experiment.

After browsing around, I am happy to have found a bunch of success stories for moving tanks way larger than what I'm thinking!

·
Registered
424 Posts
a 29 is a nice tank. As is a 40 breeder!
get ready. when those first plants you put in your tank start to take off, you will be hooked.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I am severely torn across the range of 5 to 20g.
Out of those I'd get a 20 gallon, Long (30"x12"x12"), not tall/high (24"x12"x16").

The long has more length for more fish and planting/aquascaping options.
And it being shallower makes it easier to achieve higher lighting.

Where as the 20 tall would limit you in those areas. Although it does have it's own perks, though I'd prefer the 20 long over the 20 tall dimensions and perks.

Any of 5-20 gallon set ups would be easy to move (of course empty it all out).

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'd be careful if you are renting, make sure there's no prohibiting of fish tanks in your rental agreement. I've been lucky so far but remember that even a smallish 29 gallon with water, substrate, and equipment can end up weighing about 450~500 pounds!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be careful if you are renting, make sure there's no prohibiting of fish tanks in your rental agreement. I've been lucky so far but remember that even a smallish 29 gallon with water, substrate, and equipment can end up weighing about 450~500 pounds!
Yeah, always important to consider. Luckily, it's part of my original lease that I'm allowed up to 30gal before I have to tell the landlord I have an aquarium at all :grin2:

After the research I've been doing and thinking about since my original post, I think I will go with the 20g so I'm not restricting myself and risk being tempted to get more tanks (hopefully).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts