The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions for a decent, budget friendly return pump for a 20 gal long plumbed to a 10 gallon sump. I've been doing research and I'm a bit overwhelmed by shear number of brands so would love some first hand experience. Ideally looking for a DC pump as I understand they are supposed to be quieter (maybe?) and something adjustable so I can dial in the flow levels

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a year old Jebao DCP-20000 and a several year old DCP-4000. Both of them have been completely reliable, quiet and energy efficient. I bought higher flow pumps than I need and run them at a lower power level to suit my purposes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

I'm giving a the DCP-2500 a strong look. Does anyone know the dimensions of this pump? I looked online and couldn't find a definitive answer and I need to make sure it will fit in the sump I'm trying (and failing) to design

·
Registered
484 Posts
I will have to measure when Iget home but I used my DCP-4000 in a commercial wet/dry sump that was about 5g and half filled with bio balls. It fit in this small space without issue. A DCP-2500 should have not problem fitting in a 10g sump.

My DCP-20,000 takes up about 1/4 of my 55g sump, but it is MUCH bigger than the DCP-4000.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The bigger and deeper the sump compartment for your pump the longer (more evaporation) you can go before having to top off the sump (add more water). Just a FYI.

I.e. a really small pump compartment in which the water goes over the divider to enter the compartment will mean more frequent water top offs. If the water goes UNDER the divider to enter the pump compartment then the total volume of the two compartments will give a larger buffer or water supply and increase the amount of time between top offs.

I hope that makes sense?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bigger and deeper the sump compartment for your pump the longer (more evaporation) you can go before having to top off the sump (add more water). Just a FYI.

I.e. a really small pump compartment in which the water goes over the divider to enter the compartment will mean more frequent water top offs. If the water goes UNDER the divider to enter the pump compartment then the total volume of the two compartments will give a larger buffer or water supply and increase the amount of time between top offs.

I hope that makes sense?
Yes that makes perfect sense thank you! The baffle layout I am working on right now has it with the entrace at the bottom like you described (purely by luck not design).

On a side note my DCP-2500 arrived and I think I might be missing an O-ring. The assembly drawing in the manual shows an o-ring for the pump outlet however I do not have one. Any one else with a DCP receive or not receive an o-ring?

·
Registered
484 Posts
An O-Ring for between the pump and the outlet adapter should be supplied and used. Did you double check all the packaging. Check the pump output adapters mating surface, it might already have the O-ring installed.

It won't be fatal if you don't use one because the pump is submersed but I would want to use it to eliminate bypass.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I double checked the box, the couch I opened it on, and underneath. From another forum I learned the box should have two but I got zero. I messaged the seller on Amazon but if I don't have luck I'll head to lowes and see if I can find some o-rings that will work.

Luckily I don't need the pump right away so I have time to figure this out while I work on the rest of my build.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.