The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My return pump (Jebao DCP 2500) started intermitedly squeaking today. Thinking something was stuck inside I opened it up and found a ton of mulm and bio film which I cleaned out. Now that it's back in the sump it is still squeaking. Less severe then before but constant instead of intermittent. I'm thinking maybe it needs to be lubed somehow?

Any suggestions on what the cause is and how to fix it?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have a couple Jabeo DCP and I just use pure silicone grease I get from a dive shop to lube the shafts. I do this on my HOB impellers too. Never had a problem. I will say that is some weird looking rust colored stuff on there.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After running overnight the squeaking did go away and the pump is now quieter than it has been in a while. So crisis was averted for the time being.

I would immediately buy a new pump. These pumps are sealed and can not be serviced.
Luckily, I do have a second pump that I can pull replacement parts from. I'd rather avoid subbing the second pump in entirely as for some reason it surges heavily.

I have a couple Jabeo DCP and I just use pure silicone grease I get from a dive shop to lube the shafts. I do this on my HOB impellers too. Never had a problem. I will say that is some weird looking rust colored stuff on there.
The silicone dive grease is a great idea. I will keep it in mind in case it starts squeaking again. The gunk did surprise me, especially since the pump has only been in use for about four months and the tank water passes through six inches of poret foam and a layer of polyester fleece before the pump. It had a somewhat slimy sludge-like feel and wiped away easily. My best gues is biofilm that pick up some clay particles that leaked out from substrate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts