The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

While I was away on business my girlfriend saw an entire 10-gallon starter kit (tank, hood, filter, air pump, etc.) for $5 at a garage sale and swooped it up for me. The tank is a bit dated but is still in great condition. I want to do a planted tank, but the hood uses two tubular incandescent bulbs (which I've heard can affect water temp). The bulbs that are in the hood are two small led bulbs which don't give off much light at all. My question is, what lights can I put in this hood to grow plants?

Thanks

Wood Gas Rectangle Machine Room

Hand Liquid Fluid Finger Plastic bottle

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Hi mcholden88,

Welcome to TPT!

I have a low tech (i.e. no CO2 & lower light) that has done very well. I used 2X 10 watt CFL lamps from Walmart to attain these results. I have tried higher output LED lamps, including corncob LED lamps and they seem to put out too much light for the amount of available nutrients. The resulting iplant growth (for me) was actually less with higher light levels.

10 gallon, low tech, 2X10 watt CFL

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have put CFLs into similar hoods with good results. Just watch the heat (I have melted plastic hoods), and you may have to remove the metal shield to fit them in.

Reactions: Watercrayfish

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. It will likely not be too densely planted, does that mean I should go with the CFLs over the corn cob LEDs so the nutrient balance will be less likely to fuel algae?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I disagree, I'm pretty sure you can find two 40 watt equivalent A19 LED household bulbs in 5000K for way cheap.

The thing is CFL's are getting harder and harder to find as the LED's begin to become less expensive. BiMart, in our town has packages of two, 40 watt equivalents ( I think roughly 6 watts and 500 lumens each..) LED bulbs in 5000K for less than $4.00

I mean it's a screaming deal for a pair of lamps that'll last over 50,000 hours. And I know they'll grow plants. They make less heat than the 13 watt CFL's and when the CFL's go south they stink up the house (like ours did).

Your fixture has a reflector that will bounce some of the light on the backside towards the tank. For low tech lighting it's the high-tech way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts