The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever managed to retrofit a temp thermostat to their air fans to reduce tank water? I have the fans on place but would be great that as soon as the max temp it hit the fans go down and remain on till desired temp..

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey looking into the inkbird... So it acts as a heater or else you connect the switch to the device and it kicks in once it goes over the temp specified?
It is a heater and a chiller controller. You plug your heater into the socket labeled "Heating" and plug your chiller or fan into the socket marked "Cooling". It has a probe that you put into your tank or sump to monitor actual water temp.

You then set the controller high and low temp so that the tank will be either heated or cooled accordingly to stay in your desired range. I just use it for heating as cooling is not an issue in my space.

It also works as a safeguard against "runaway" heater disasters since it will cut power to your heater if the tank temp goes higher than your Inkbird setpoint. You set your heater for slightly above the Inkbird set temp so that the Inkbird is always in control.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would consider getting an Inkbird ITC-308S. It will control both a heater and a chiller so I imagine it would work well for a fan.

I use it as a failsafe for my Oase in-filter heater. Works great.
Ditto- I have used the inkbird thermostats as a super cheap way to turn refrigerators and heats fans into incubators at work. They're pretty reliable and this application sounds safe. If you wanted to use it to regulate something that could cause an overheat or somehow cause harm if left on, then I would have it on some kind of failsafe as I once had one get stuck on, but that seems like a rare problem.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the Inkbird ITC-308S which does not have Wi-Fi. I just figured that it was one less thing to malfunction and was cheaper ;)

Also, at least on Amazon, the only one I see that supports Wi-fi is a heater-only controller.

Be sure to get one that is meant for an aquarium as the probe is different so as to last in long-term immersion.
Is this the correct one?

Starting to hate shipping fees from the UK........

·
Registered
734 Posts
Nope. That one does not have the probe for continuous placement under water. The aquarium probe is black, not metal. If you want Wi-fi you will need one that has "aquarium" in the description as well as "Wi-fi", "heating" and also "cooling". You might want to go to the Inkbird web site to see if they make one that has all of those features. I have not seen one.

This is all I know. Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Argh cant find it! Can you post a link maybe?

Is it this?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Super. Thats what I want exactly! Want it to go on when it goes over my max temp. Did you get the wifi one?
Yep, I got the WiFi one. The WiFi protocol on the WiFi Inkbirds are so old that they will not connect to any modern WiFi access-point or Smart Phone or laptop that I have tried. I tried for hours and I am a computer nerd for a living. A quick Google shows others have run into the same issue. It works just fine as a controller without using the WiFi connectivity though!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So is this a bad one? As it specifically says for aquariums

·
Registered
734 Posts
So is this a bad one? As it specifically says for aquariums

We have already given you links to the one with the features you are asking for.

Read the information in the product description.

This one does not support cooling.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Amazon carries the STC-1000 DIY thermostat that does both of these functions, in addition to allowing you to set a hysteresis for the temperature difference from heating to cooling. Easily built, you will need to provide some cheap 5' extension cords as "zip cords" to power it and adapt it to the heaters and cooling fans. Two different relays and self powered once plugged into the supply, reads in Celsius only.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Another option if you are handy with wiring is to get an off the shelf industrial temperature controller. You would likely also need a relay (two if your want to control a heater as well), I recommend solid state due to cycling frequency and a thermocouple. Depending on availability in the UK it could be more budget friendly option if you know your way around wiring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.