The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm new in this forum and i'm glad to participate.

I have a Chihiros E602 (not a 601 but doble) for a planted tank and lots of the 5630 led chips are blown.

My first idea was to replace them but there are a lot bad and im not sure if the center pad is soldered, and i may cause damage to other leds using the heat gun.

So have thought that would be better to retrofit the whole fixture.
Probably you will think that will be better to buy a new one, but i really like it.

These are two aluminium heatsinks with 72 5630 leds each. 36w each lamp. They say 3500 lumen but i dont get that doing some maths.

they inner space is 570x42mm more or less.

The thing is how do you recomend to do this?

Mi first option is obvious. Led strips. Like this in 6000k option.

But i would like to have some thing better with better light quality for gowing plants.

So i've seen this Samsung L2 horticulture modules.

Available in 12 and 24" they would be just a drop in. And i can fit two 12" modules in each heatsink for keeping lower voltage. They cost about 20€ for each 12" module.
Too much power, but i dont care to dimm them to have them cooler. Heatsinks aren too massive.

But i think it lacks some blue. Maybe just one 12" module cutted down in pieces and complemented with some led stars?

but i think this is not the point of using this kind of modules....

So i found these other thing....

At 35€ each module of 12 leds. Powerfull and designed to be cutted.
There is one of those designed for horticulture with 9 hyper red (660nm) and 3 deep blue (451 nm) leds.

There are also 623nm and 730nm reds and 617nm amber.

I think i can use un module of 5700k 12 leds for each heatsink and complement buying one horticulture module with red blue and mix all of the leds.

This can use lenses from ledil (90º?) wich are prety shallow. They dont fit, but i can make a new polycarbonate cover for the fixture and make them fit.

The last option is just buy led stars and mix. In this case i need help to select them. The advantage is i could try to buy high quality sinkpad stars and will help a lot to disipate the heat.

i know there are a lot of things here... thanks for reading and i will apreciate any advice... And please, excuse my bad english...

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
First you can get lenses that fit for the 5700k bars:

The hort has a nice spectrum w/ the added 660nm spike.

Second the design layout favors 120 degree dispersion. Modifying that angle requires some redesign considerations.

Neonica are ribbons and fir good color rendering would need to mix k temps i.e. 2:1 6000/3000k.

22.4".. max length of strip that you can use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First you can get lenses that fit for the 5700k bars:
Thanks. I did know them. I mentioned the ledil which are the shaloowest i think.
The hort has a nice spectrum w/ the added 660nm spike.
You mean the Samsungs
They are supposed to have a bump in bluish spectrum either. Maybe they are the best way to go?
Second the design layout favors 120 degree dispersion. Modifying that angle requires some redesign considerations.
I know its very close to wate level but as they are two fixtures they cover about 13cm. More than 1/3 of the deepnes of the tank (36cm deep) its 62*36*36.
Maybe a combination of 90º in the outer rows and no lens in the center ones?
Neonica are ribbons and fir good color rendering would need to mix k temps i.e. 2:1 6000/3000k.
Thanks for the advice. This is the cheap and easy way...

22.4".. max length of strip that you can use?
Yes, but i made a mistake. The samsung modules arent 12" and 24" . They are 1 and 2 feet. So 281mm and 561mm. They fit.
I like them but semee them a bit overkill and im not sure how is it going to look. They claim to be 5150k

So which way would yo go? Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have replaced quite a few 5630/5730 chips , mainly replaced them to alter the color spectrum. There are only two pads one on each side. It's finicky work but with a fine tip soldering iron , tweezer and and an exact knife to use as pry tool it's totally doable. Also some magnifying reading glasses 2.5+ really help with the fine work needed.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
Thanks. I did know them. I mentioned the ledil which are the shaloowest i think.

You mean the Samsungs
They are supposed to have a bump in bluish spectrum either. Maybe they are the best way to go?

I know its very close to wate level but as they are two fixtures they cover about 13cm. More than 1/3 of the deepnes of the tank (36cm deep) its 62*36*36.
Maybe a combination of 90º in the outer rows and no lens in the center ones?

Thanks for the advice. This is the cheap and easy way...

Yes, but i made a mistake. The samsung modules arent 12" and 24" . They are 1 and 2 feet. So 281mm and 561mm. They fit.
I like them but semee them a bit overkill and im not sure how is it going to look. They claim to be 5150k

So which way would yo go? Thanks for your reply
Which way would I go is not important.
So lets start with which way do you want to go.

First dimmable or not?
Second Controllable or not?
One overall color?
Multi-color, multi-channel?
Each choice leads in a different direction.

Since you are rebuilding it is usually more enjoyable exceeding the original design.
Which was "basic" 7000K white diodes.

Improving on that would be 7000K diodes plus 660nm diodes.
Increases the overall color rendering.
From there you can go in all sorts of directions RGB, RGBW, RGBWarm/CoolW ect.

Now as to control, easiest to find and cheapest is controllers that work with constant voltage strips/boards.
Manual "pot" dimmers are a few bucks
TC-420, 421 being the best of the cheap ones.
Getting back to the orig ideas though the Lumitronics LOOKED promising till I realized they were like 30 + euros for one 290mm board.
for balanced coolwhite/660nm array would be 100's of euros.

Anyways my go to strips if you can find them would be
Bridgelux eb gen 3 thrive.
Boards are 560mm though.

6500k ones are almost never easily found.
BXEB-L0560Z-65S2000-C-C3

You would need drivers and a power supply.

If you just want light there are hundereds of ways to go.
Like these.
Picked because they were 500mm, simple 12v constant voltage strips, and 3 color temps.
Doubt if they are 1800 lumens.
With the right mix you should get what you may need.
Sorry I know not exactly helpful but point is there are a lot of choices you may make that I can't assume.

Another cheap way is to buy blank circuit boards for Bridgelux, Epistar "egg" diodes (1W/3W kind) and populate it with the diodes you choose.
It's fairly simple soldering.
Just like the stars but better wire management.

Sorry I know not exactly helpful but point is there are a lot of choices you may make that I can't assume.
I know more questions than answers and this is somewhat my fault. Just can't pin down a decent path..

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
I have replaced quite a few 5630/5730 chips , mainly replaced them to alter the color spectrum. There are only two pads one on each side. It's finicky work but with a fine tip soldering iron , tweezer and and an exact knife to use as pry tool it's totally doable. Also some magnifying reading glasses 2.5+ really help with the fine work needed.
Some people recommended something like this:

I have one sitting in front of me at the moment. Has magnetic feet.
Sadly it is not perfectly flat but eventually will test it on an aluminum circuit board as a reflow experiment.
Lists 500f though . A bit high but w/ aluminum circuit boards warming them up is a good thing, or so I've been told.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Some people recommended something like this:

I have one sitting in front of me at the moment. Has magnetic feet.
Sadly it is not perfectly flat but eventually will test it on an aluminum circuit board as a reflow experiment.
Lists 500f though . A bit high but w/ aluminum circuit boards warming them up is a good thing, or so I've been told.
View attachment 1026603
that will reflow everything at once I'm guessing including other semiconductor parts which could get dislodged if not carefull. if you wanna just remove individual chips that are burned out i would prefer soldering iron .
interesting unit though I've never seen one before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello. Im sorry for being so late...

My goal is
First have a good light for growing plants.

Dimable yes.
Controlable. If you mean like ontrol it using your smartphone no. Would be nice to have sunrise and sunset. And moon light but its not relevant.
i dont need separate channels. But if go with multicolor i think will be the best way.

By the time i have bridged the burnt leds with resistors and its working better now.

But i still think would like ti retrofit with better quality light soruces.

So.
As i need the best heat spreading possible due to the lack of a big heatsink. And because of the easy of arrangement, i think the best way is to get some sinkpad pcbs and populate the heatsink with whites and blue/red.

The samung modules are still there...

i have ime to do this. So i have ordered some 5630 chips and try to replace the broken ones.

Tahnks for your time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.