The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 2 Catalina dual T5 retro kits and ballasts sometime ago for my canopy. As I've since discovered, running 4 bulbs simultaneously a mere 4" from the water line is overkill.

While I can just run two lamps concurrently without causing an algae outbreak, I just haven't been satisfied with the combination of two bulbs particularly if I use them separately at dawn/dusk. Running all 4 ((2 10k's, 1 6500, 1 Aquaflora) looks really stunning to me, but the only way I can do that is to run the lamps higher off the tank.

I haven't been able to find a separate hood that the retro's would fit into and am not all that handy thinking about building one nor do I relish buying everything all over again. Anyone know of an outlet that might sell just hoods or does anyone have a 4x 60" hood they'd be willing to part with etc.?

Thanks!

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
call catalina and ask them if they will sell you you just the outside of a fixture. they will know what you have and will be able to get you what you need(probably, lol.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that (cc Catalina). They don't have anything that will house the retro's leaving me to buy another fixture (less bulbs)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts