The Planted Tank Forum banner

Reticulated Hillstream Loaches

383 2
Hello!

I was just wondering if there's anyone who has quite a bit of experience with reticulated hillstream loaches? I've wanted to get one for quite some time now, but unsure of getting 1 or 3. I know they can be just fine alone, but do they thrive in groups? I've heard both sides, so I'm looking for someone who has kept them in both settings, someone who has had just one and also had a group, so you have been able to see the difference in behavior. It's hard to get what feels like an unbiased opinion when people who have had one say they're fine and thrive alone...and then people who have them in groups say they thrive in groups of 3 or more...so yeah I'm looking for someone who has had both experiences for that reason.

I haven't been able to snag any from my LFS for months now and I'm in no rush, so I just want to know if anyone has this kind of experience and would share their knowledge with me :)

Thanks so much in advance!!! :)
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
According to this article that I found, Hillstream Loaches should be in groups of 3-4 in quantity and placed in tanks no smaller than 50 gallons.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Definitely get a few. They're social, but also pretty territorial and like to bicker with each other. They'll chase one another around, try to get on top of each other, spin around squaring off etc. It's not harmful though - they don't show any signs of stress over it. You won't get to see this (rather entertaining) behavior if they're kept alone. Just make sure they have lots of hardscape like stacks of rocks to claim as territory.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.