The Planted Tank Forum banner

RESULTS: CURRENT SATELLITE+ PRO vs FINNEX RAY 2

2931 9
HERE YOU GO BUDS!
Satellite+ Pro Only

Ray 2 Only

Satellite+ Pro and Ray 2 On

As you can see the Ray 2 is significantly brighter. I leave both on. But once my baby tears fill in I'll just have the Sat on. I had the Ray 2 only for the beginning stages of my tank (2 months) and it was growing/carpeting the Baby Tears beautifully. I'm eager to see how much they grow now with both on...I just feel like the Sat is a little too dim for my liking. I'm hoping I didnt program it right but who knows. Seems simple enough but it is what it is. Btw, lots of pearling with the Ray 2. Got the Satellite today and didnt give it a chance to see if it would make by tears pearl. But right now, after having them both on for about an hour and a half, there is pearling on just about every single patch!.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
What is the size of tank? What color is the sand in natural light?

The Ray2 is brighter but looks like the colors are a bit more washed out. The Sat Pro looks a bit dimmer, but the color looks richer. (my eyes, monitor, photo exposure, etc.)

·
Registered
964 Posts
As you can see the Ray 2 is significantly brighter.
Hi, this is the perception from your human eye but plants do not use this kind of perception.

Ray 2 maybe brighter to human eye but Satellite+ Pro could be as well more powerful for the plants than Ray 2. The right way to tell would be to measure PARs, or PURs. Or do further testing, for example, grow the same plant with one fixture in a tank, the same plant with the other fixture in another tank, same size, same ferts, same CO2, same lighting duration, etc.

Michel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is the size of tank? What color is the sand in natural light?

The Ray2 is brighter but looks like the colors are a bit more washed out. The Sat Pro looks a bit dimmer, but the color looks richer. (my eyes, monitor, photo exposure, etc.)
^I agree. The color produced by the Sat+ Pro feels a lot more natural and is easier on the eyes than compared to the Finnex Ray 2.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the 36-48 Satellite Pro+ on my 40B. You set the on time for your photo period, the intensity of the different colors and the off time. You decide whether or not you want no light or Moonlight during the off period. You can adjust that intensity too. I only wish this light had the ability to break the photo period into 2 sessions with a rest period in between. Maybe the next light to come out..

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have the 36-48 Satellite Pro+ on my 40B. You set the on time for your photo period, the intensity of the different colors and the off time. You decide whether or not you want no light or Moonlight during the off period. You can adjust that intensity too. I only wish this light had the ability to break the photo period into 2 sessions with a rest period in between. Maybe the next light to come out..
That's enough features for me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct! Really in person the colors aren't washed out. Although I will say the colors when just the sat is on are a bit more "vivid." As for the PAR comment, I realize this. I just like a brighter tank. Both omit about the same in PAR. The pro giving out a little more. And yes, you can control the type of light you want during the 24 hour mode. Love the versatility of the light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.