The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I started with a good amount of fish. I went through a rough trial and error. I lost all of my oto's and lost some pygmy cories and emerald danios.

The otos died probably due to water change sensitivity as well as I got bad stock from petco and petsmart. The lone survivor was struggling, starved and disappeared in the tank. Don't know where it went. Haven't seen it for about a month now.

I had 9 pygmy cories to help them be more comfortable. I found one dead and decomposing in my java fern bunch, don't know how it died. Ended up getting rid of the plant bunch because it was stuck in between and rotting. Now I'm down to 5-6 I don't know where the other 2-3 went. I only see 5 always swimming together and they look really healthy and plump.

I had 5 emerald danios. I lost one due to being stuck in a rock somehow. Than I lost another from what looked like starvation. I've been feeding them NLS Thera A and Omega One fish food flakes. I was thinking they were eating, but doesn't seem to be the case. I'm down to 3. 2 of the bigger ones look healthy, but the third one, the smallest seems a little thin. I don't know what else to do with feeding since they don't eat too much of the flakes and the pellets are still too big for them. I got the smallest, .5mm.

So, now question is, should I stock up more emerald danios and pygmy cories? The ones that are alive are actually doing great now and they swim together. I noticed they hide a lot though so I don't know if they are alive sometimes or if they are sick. Will adding more of their own kind help them come out more often and swim together? I'm just concerned that if I do get more emerald danios it'll be harder to feed them since they seem to have really small mouths, smaller then the pygmy's seems like. What can I do to liven up the tank more? (Btw this is a 10 gallon tank)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Before restocking I would look into what's killing your fish, otherwise it's just a money sink. That looks to be a good amount of deaths. Was the tank cycled before you put the fish in? What do your water parameters look like? Water changes? If your concern is poor stock from a big box store look into ordering online (though it gets pricey!) or maybe from a LFS. I have to travel about 45 min to get fish from an independent place. The one around here always seems very pricey and shopping from the big box stores near me almost always results in money down the drain.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before restocking I would look into what's killing your fish, otherwise it's just a money sink. That looks to be a good amount of deaths. Was the tank cycled before you put the fish in? What do your water parameters look like? Water changes? If your concern is poor stock from a big box store look into ordering online (though it gets pricey!) or maybe from a LFS. I have to travel about 45 min to get fish from an independent place. The one around here always seems very pricey and shopping from the big box stores near me almost always results in money down the drain.
I have had this tank set up for about 8 months or more now. The deaths of the otos was a mistake I made with a water change. Honestly don't know how to make of it. The emerald danios was because some of them wouldn't get to eat the foods that I gave them.

The water levels were good. I never had any signs of ammonia. No nitrite levels and pretty low nitrate. I do about 30% water changes once a week. 50% or more when I do some moving of plants and what not or if I fed too much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.