The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Below I'll post pictures of my tank as it is now, but first let me give you details!

So, about 1-1.5 months ago I redid my tank (some may remember from my black neon having fin issues -- hes fixed now and that stock is living in my 47 now!) and this is what I did:
--replaced old substrate with eco-complete black substrate/fert
--bought new LED for tank (my hood was messed up and it was my bday, nice gift :p)
--threw out dead/dying plants and plants that wouldn't grow that I had for a very long time
--trimmed down my flame moss and took dead leaves off my remaining two plants

So here's the low down on what I'm doing now:
I want some low light plants that will survive well just like the ones I have. I had Java Fern and it grew very fast with the 2x25W spirals I had, and it grew legit out of control. I don't mind the Java Fern, because I attach it to my driftwood, but I want something else that will look good as well.

I forgot the two names for the plants I have now, got them at Petco while back, and would like more for my rummy noses and my soon to be cherry shrimp and some cardinal tetras.

Heres my pics:

These two I need to ID again :)

Not sure if my moss is very slow acclimating like when I got it, it didn't turn bright green til 2+ months. I have it tied down in 3 spots which I didn't realized looks stupid and limited its grown - I'm going to fix that - and its still a dull green. And yes its flame moss I bought it off aqmagic, some people don't believe me.

So what are your favorite low light plants that will do great? I do a weekly dose of flourish and excel, and do water changes as well. I moniter the perimeters of the water as well to make sure I have no more issues like I had when I redid it. :)

EDIT:

Was the tank as of 4/10. I redid it 5 months later. The filter was powerful and pushed the moss down so I didnt see the flame look until I fixed it in a less current spot.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
your tank was cool.

some good low light plants would include christmas moss, i think you will like that one more than flame moss. Since those two swordplants will take over the tank, I would break apart some slate pieces, tie christmas moss on them and lay them all over the substrate to form a moss carpet. it would look great and the swords would shade it from intense light.

I'd do some cories in there once the moss grows out well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it did look cool, thanks! I do miss the whole amount of plants I had and how well I kept it, but sadly I began lacking because of college and my studies got to the best of me. Then one day I decided "to hell with it" and redid the tank. My boyfriend has a 46 planted, downsized from his 75 gal, and I told him I'll give him my two plants if I can't keep them alive as well as I did. I'm also considering giving him my moss, all of his died in the transition.

I do like the xmas moss! I tried to find some and had no luck! Thats why I settled with the flame =/. So if I get the xmas moss I will def keep the swords. I also wanted to find some cooler branches if I give my boyfriend my branch so my moss will stay on it.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
thats a delicate moss. prone to getting some algae especially if its in a new tank and in direct light. you could try it and see what you can get.

I think I may have Christmas moss, and when I get enough extra of it, I could send you some if you still need it at that time. I am growing it in a small cherry shrimp tank, a crystal red shrimp bowl, and in some other vessels with water. just PM me so that I do not forget about it haha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.