The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CO2 systems have not been used for about 1.5 - 2 years. They're still in place, under the tanks, just out of CO2 with everything unplugged. I didn't even remove the meter probes from the tanks.

Before I rush to the local welding shop to refill my canisters with CO2 and fire everything back up, what should I replace, clean, or inspect to be sure it's in good operating order?

I suspect I'll need new probes since they're so old now. One of my bubble counters cracked the last time I used it (have no idea why) so I need to replace that. My old PVC reactors are still inline with water running through them so I don't think I need to do anything there.

Is there any reason for concern about the canisters? Anything else?

Thanks, in advance, for the help! :smile:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If your tank has it stamped on the neck, check to make sure that the hydrotest date on the container is still valid. If not, get it tested/swap it. Probably wouldn't hurt to just replace any o-rings or gaskets in the system as well.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If your tank has it stamped on the neck, check to make sure that the hydrotest date on the container is still valid. If not, get it tested/swap it. Probably wouldn't hurt to just replace any o-rings or gaskets in the system as well.

If I am not mistaken, I know my refill place does, but they look at that stamp BEFORE they even take your money.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked, but the dates are obscured by the handles. I'd have to pull the out from the cabinets to check which I don't have time to do right now. I bought them brand new so I think they should be okay, but if not, I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Anything else to consider? Does most of the equipment (regulators, ph monitors, etc) function unaffected after sitting up unused for a couple of years?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Anything else to consider? Does most of the equipment (regulators, ph monitors, etc) function unaffected after sitting up unused for a couple of years?
Shouldn't be an issue.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Fantastic news! Thanks! My tanks just aren't the same without injected CO2. :smile:
Tell me about it...I have been out of Co2 for about 2 weeks now. I can only refill during the week and since it has been 100+ I cant do it at lunch and risk that heat in the car.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking of taking pics of how my tanks look now just to show the contrast between a tank with injected CO2 and ferts and what the same tank looks like without it. The difference is stunning. I hadn't really noticed how much my tanks had declined until I looked at pics of how they used to look. Wow, what a difference!

I'm picking up 150 amano shrimp tomorrow so I think I'll get my canisters refilled then. As long as all goes well and I can find a bubble counter locally, I should have the CO2 running again some time next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.