The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my tank about 5 months ago and it was running very well until about a month ago. I started getting some hair like algae growing and no matter how many times I tried pulling it out I couldn't get rid of all of it and it kept coming back worse. My tank also ended up way over stocked because the fish I had bought were apparently all pregnant and gave birth so I had about 10 guppies and 1 full grown dalmatian molly with her 7 babies. So yesterday I got rid of all but three of my plants changed half the water and added some more gravel.
I am going to get a gravel filter vacume to try to clean up the bottom that is settling but i am still really struggling with the way it looks. If anyone could please make suggestions as to what I can do to improve my tanks looks it would be much appreciated. I am also going to the store to buy more media filter stuff for my Aqua clear 20 gallon filter so hopefully that may help a little as well. Also its a 10 gallon tank.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I would not use gravel at all in a planted tank. Use one of the better substrates that are designed for plants. A 10 gallon is small enough that any of the substrates will be cheap enough. You could use a little bit of gravel on the surface of the substrate, if you like the look of gravel.

The alternative is to grow plants that are not rooted in the substrate. A 10 is so small, though, that most of these types of plants would grow too big. There are a few that could work, though.

At this point I would return all the fish to the store, and start over. Don't try to keep the fish while you redo everything.

Here are a couple of really basic ideas to guide a planted tank:
1) Low Tech: Use a good substrate, perhaps fertilizers under the substrate, and rely on fish food as fertilizer. Moderate light, usually no added carbon.
2) Medium Tech: Use a good substrate, fertilizer tablets, probably add small amounts of fertilizers to the water, carbon from DIY yeast (works fine for a 10 gallon) or from liquid carbon sources (not too expensive for a 10 gallon), medium light.
3) High Tech: Use a good substrate, water column ferts (slow release tablets optional), high light, pressurized CO2.

How about you think about which way you want to go, and let us know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
One thing you could do is stuff it full of different plants. It seems that you, like me, dosen't like weekly water changes or vacuuming. Some plants might wither, those who survive will keep the water healthy (tho not too clear) given that you dont have too many fish.

An option for not getting their numbers up is to keep a fish that will eat the babies, like a bigg betta.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not use gravel at all in a planted tank. Use one of the better substrates that are designed for plants. A 10 gallon is small enough that any of the substrates will be cheap enough. You could use a little bit of gravel on the surface of the substrate, if you like the look of gravel.

The alternative is to grow plants that are not rooted in the substrate. A 10 is so small, though, that most of these types of plants would grow too big. There are a few that could work, though.

At this point I would return all the fish to the store, and start over. Don't try to keep the fish while you redo everything.

Here are a couple of really basic ideas to guide a planted tank:
1) Low Tech: Use a good substrate, perhaps fertilizers under the substrate, and rely on fish food as fertilizer. Moderate light, usually no added carbon.
2) Medium Tech: Use a good substrate, fertilizer tablets, probably add small amounts of fertilizers to the water, carbon from DIY yeast (works fine for a 10 gallon) or from liquid carbon sources (not too expensive for a 10 gallon), medium light.
3) High Tech: Use a good substrate, water column ferts (slow release tablets optional), high light, pressurized CO2.

How about you think about which way you want to go, and let us know.

Thank you, the only problem is that I bought the fish from petsmart and they dont allow people to bring fish in, I have already tried calling to ask. The only other person with a tank that I know already has it pretty stocked as well so Im not sure if it could handle more fish especially since these Mollie babies will probably reproduce.
So if I cant get rid of the fish to do a total restart do I really have another option?
Also My gravel is on top of a soil substrate so Im not sure if that makes a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts