The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rescued a betta from my sister-in-law today. The poor little guy was sitting in a filthy, tiny tank (maybe 1/2 gallons). His tail fin seems to have a permeant droop/bow to it. (I'll try to snap some pictures tomorrow).

The worst part? She was keeping him in plain tap water. 0_0 When I asked how long she'd had him, she said 1 year. I was flabbergasted. I guess it just goes to show you how resilient these little buggers can be.

For now, he's still in his original tank -- cleaned out and filled with treated water. I don't have an extra betta sized tank anywhere, so I'll be on the look out over the weekend for something slightly bigger to keep him in.

Any suggestions on healing this little dude's tail?

ADDED: Here is a picture of his poor tail. As you can see, it has a downward bow to it. He does not seem to be able to extend it (even when flaring). His top fin also has a similar issue.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
API Stress Coat worked wonders assisting in fin regrowth for one of my bettas. Its active ingredient is aloe Vera I think.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
625 Posts
I fell sorry for this species of fish to me its very sad to see them in stores in little plastic containers in such poor conditions

·
Registered
778 Posts
He is a very pretty betta! Up your temps (78-80), add light aquarium salt, and feed him live food if possible. If not live food frozen blood worms, spirula brines, something high in protein.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts