The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 29 gal set up for a year (this month!) and it was my first non-nano planted tank, as well as first with CO2 injection. Over the past year I have purchased many different species of plants either for learning how they grow, or because they just looked neat. I now have way more experience and want to completely break down and restart my tank. It is currently a bit of a mess, with plants scattered around. It's more of a cluttered look than a jungle look.

My question is for those of you that have either done a major rescape or move successfully and without casualties. I have some dwarf rainbows, rams, and oto's as well as maybe 5-10 assassin snails and a heap of blue velvet shrimp. I want to make this transition as seamless and easy on the fish/shrimp as possible without fatalities. Another concern, is that if I keep the shrimp in the same holding tank as the fish, they will likely be consumed.

Thanks!

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
Definitely separate shrimp / fish. Get a shrimp net if you don't have one to catch the shrimp. Shrimp nets are more rigid and will not 'collapse' on the shrimp. They are basically tiny net buckets on sticks.

When I re-did my tank I just got some larger (rigid!) plastic storage bins and put all the fish / plants in that. I saved half of my tank's water (only 15g for you which is no problem). Set your filter(s) up on the temporary tank so it stays cycled. I had mine running for a few days with no issues. When you're ready to refill your tank use the tank water you kept to store your fish in so they don't get shocked. Didn't lose any livestock when I did it that way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.