The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I currently am running a 10 gallon planted tank. I've been going for the iwagumi look. I guess you could say I roughly achieved it. This is how it looks as of right now:

tank.jpg

The question I have is that if I were to try to take everything out and rescape from scratch. Would that mess up the bacteria culture I have in my tank and damage it to where I would have to start to cycle it over? How would I go about trying to rescape it? I want to do something with sand substrate and driftwood. Do you think that's too drastic? How would you be able to plant plants if it's sand substrate? Is that possible? o_O Any nutrients from sand? Or would I have to do something to incorporate my eco-complete in it?

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
You might cause an ammonia spike when you disturb the substrate, so I'd do a few water changes after the dust settles and lower the photoperiod for a little while in case green water wants to show up. I do drastic rescapes every once in a while. As long as there isn't a ton of fauna in there, you should be fine. Sand has no nutrients, but sand works great. You could do a layer of mineralized soil under it, or use a few root tabs. hth.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You should consider posting that inspiration link from APC, maybe find some top ranking tanks as inspiration that relates to what you want to accomplish. What you're aiming for is a complete change of ideas from what you're doing right now.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I have fish in the tank that I would like to put back. How would I go about that if the ammonia is spiking?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts