The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

About a year ago I set up a high tech 55 Gallon planted tank. I was never happy with the way it turned out, and unfortunately I lost most of my livestock to a freeze. I'm totally redoing the tank, and I'm looking for some input on my plans.

I'm planning to go more low tech with the setup this time. No CO2 injection and low light plants. My plan is to do anubias, java ferns, crypts and some valisneria. My light is a fluval 3.0. I think I should probably turn down the intensity on the light. Maybe to 40%? I also have a really cool scape planned that I will be posting soon.

Does anyone have tips for a low light/low maintenance 55 Gallon tank they would like to share? Some advice about my lighting would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Well, I have a 33 long low tech which is the same footprint as the 55. Here's how I have mine setup and it does pretty good... Finnex Stingray lighting, caribsea sunset gold sand, various different crypts, swords, rotala indica. Used to keep Water Sprite and it was a PITA because it even though it grew well, it would always break for some reason so I stopped using it. I use seachem iron and flourish as well as seachem root tabs and I have pretty good growth. I used to have a huge sword in the tank that used to grow like crazy. My Crypt balansae has also gone bonkers recently.

This kind of setup may work well for a 55 given that they are the same footprint, just differing heights. The lighting I would question though. If you were gonna use a Finnex stingray fixture for a 55, I recommend the newer updated model. I think the par is a bit higher on that one which would be better for a tank like yours at 21 inches tall. Just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have a 33 long low tech which is the same footprint as the 55. Here's how I have mine setup and it does pretty good... Finnex Stingray lighting, caribsea sunset gold sand, various different crypts, swords, rotala indica. Used to keep Water Sprite and it was a PITA because it even though it grew well, it would always break for some reason so I stopped using it. I use seachem iron and flourish as well as seachem root tabs and I have pretty good growth. I used to have a huge sword in the tank that used to grow like crazy. My Crypt balansae has also gone bonkers recently.

This kind of setup may work well for a 55 given that they are the same footprint, just differing heights. The lighting I would question though. If you were gonna use a Finnex stingray fixture for a 55, I recommend the newer updated model. I think the par is a bit higher on that one which would be better for a tank like yours at 21 inches tall. Just my 2 cents though.
I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience with a similar setup! I have used finnex lights in the past with good results. I already have the Fluval 3.0 though so I will be using that. I just need to figure out how much I should dim it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are looking for a good light then Nicrew skyLED is pretty good and it’s cheap.
Plus the Timer (Nicrew Single Channel Timer Pro) which has its own dimmer in it is super easy to set up and has other really cool features.
Especially if you want a medium light.
I actually just did the same thing where I totally rescaped and recycled my ten gallon.
I have plants like water sprite, Ludwigia, Java fern, etc.
But yeah just a light suggestion for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts