The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my tank atm:

I am planning to get out of the jungle look.. maybe do Iwagumi scape....
Maybe hills, with the substrate planted with dwarf hairgrass, as I can't seem to get dwarf baby tears to spread with all my fish always unrooting them.

What kinda rock swould be good? Mini scape rocks? Zebra?

As for composition I am uncertain how many focus points should I have for a tank so wide.. I had issues with scaping a look i want in the past with this tank...

Or if you can convince me to keep this setup and just fix it up :p I am open to advice

·
Registered
618 Posts
Here is my tank atm:

I am planning to get out of the jungle look.. maybe do Iwagumi scape....
Maybe hills, with the substrate planted with dwarf hairgrass, as I can't seem to get dwarf baby tears to spread with all my fish always unrooting them.

What kinda rock swould be good? Mini scape rocks? Zebra?

As for composition I am uncertain how many focus points should I have for a tank so wide.. I had issues with scaping a look i want in the past with this tank...

Or if you can convince me to keep this setup and just fix it up :p I am open to advice
well i like it how it is, but on a long tank like that iwagumis just look sooo good :icon_wink. you can probably find some nice lava rocks at the pet store that would work well for a tank that size or just hunt around on local wanted sites...

as for scaping, it is pretty much personal preference and the golden ratio... there's a bunch of "styles" and journals on this site that will give you a sense.
here's one with one focal point:

and one with several:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I would think 2 focal points would be best for a long tank like yours. In a photo the wide open space is fine but at home looking at the tank seems like it might look too empty and the temptation to just put a little something would be always present.

There is another interesting type these days perfect for a long low tank, a row of stones across the whole back of the tank like a mountain range. Pretty sure it is much harder than it looks! Link to a terrific example of this form. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/112436-changing-mood-rimless-array-all-tank-10.html#post1460711

I like your tank now, while you are thinking on the change why not try getting the plants off the surface. If you prune the too long lily leaves back you can train them to stay shorter. Pull and trim the stems into bushes. Extend the low stuff across the whole front of the tank for more cohesiveness.

·
Registered
177 Posts
IMHO the tank looks good, and your plant growth is excellent. I think the left side of the tank is too busy as it is... I would just trim the background plants on the left side of your tank to slightly below the driftwood's height. starting from that clump of driftwood over to the left end I would clear it all back so you have a gentle slope from right (high) to left (low) and it will look much more balanced imo while keeping the thriving jungle going.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Srry didn't get to post a shot.. after cutting and moving things around it was a mud storm in there lol

As far as the jungle I decided all together... to scrape it start over..

Maybe if things don't go well I'll rescape this in the future back to another jungle look lol

What you guys think? any improvements?

I already planted some HC so I am trying not to move tooo too much..

Scape 1:

Scape 2:

Current hard scape:

·
Registered
177 Posts
just my opinion and feel free to tell me to pound salt, but I liked it better before.... your new scape is so typical of what is "in" right now and they all look the same to me (hc and rocks, with neons)....Don't get me wrong, its a nice look, but it doesn't stand out from everyone else really. I also think it is hard to sustain a tank like that. you have minimal flora but it requires high light and dosing... this gives the algae the upper hand unless you maintain it perfectly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just my opinion and feel free to tell me to pound salt, but I liked it better before.... your new scape is so typical of what is "in" right now and they all look the same to me (hc and rocks, with neons)....Don't get me wrong, its a nice look, but it doesn't stand out from everyone else really. I also think it is hard to sustain a tank like that. you have minimal flora but it requires high light and dosing... this gives the algae the upper hand unless you maintain it perfectly.

thanks for the comment..

oh noes :( now I am worried about the whole algae thing lol.

Fear not.. when I get board of this I'll tear it down lol :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts