The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time building a low tech plant based on walstad method. However, after 2 months, I am seeing these green invasive algae (attached image).

These are not easily noticeable and I have provided my setup too. They are totally entangled with the host plants (especially java moss). I pluck them out whenever I encounter them, however I'd like to know if there's an easier solution than plucking them up manually.

Please refer the images attached for further clarification

Attachments

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Hi @

Welcome to TPT!

I downloaded and enlarged your photo of the algae. It looks like normal 'hair algae' and not Cladophora which means it should be easy to control. Start by doing regular water changes, at least once a week at least. Why? Algae is a 'simple' plant and does not adapt well to changing water conditions. Pick up a Siamese (not Chinese) Algae Eater (SAE / Crossocheilus oblongus), one should be sufficient for your tank. If after two weeks the SAE has not consumed all of the green hair algae try dosing some Seachem Excel which has algacide properties and will weaken the algae and make it easier for he SAE to consume it. SAE will also eat black brush algae (BBA) but BBA does need to be weakened so the SAE can eat it.

Normally, if I get a outbreak of hair algae it is when a tank is new and going through the nitrogen cycle....it seems to show up when my nitrites are peaking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @

Welcome to TPT!

I downloaded and enlarged your photo of the algae. It looks like normal 'hair algae' and not Cladophora which means it should be easy to control. Start by doing regular water changes, at least once a week at least. Why? Algae is a 'simple' plant and does not adapt well to changing water conditions. Pick up a Siamese (not Chinese) Algae Eater (SAE / Crossocheilus oblongus), one should be sufficient for your tank. If after two weeks the SAE has not consumed all of the green hair algae try dosing some Seachem Excel which has algacide properties and will weaken the algae and make it easier for he SAE to consume it. SAE will also eat black brush algae (BBA) but BBA does need to be weakened so the SAE can eat it.

Normally, if I get a outbreak of hair algae it is when a tank is new and going through the nitrogen cycle....it seems to show up when my nitrites are peaking.
Thank you so much for taking your time to explain me. Yes, I have not changed the water since 2 months I guess. I thought the plants would suffice the filtration and all that. Guess I was wrong there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts