The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I had a problem with my tank going sour a couple of weeks ago. My best guess is that I disturbed some anaerobic bacteria when adding a new log and some new rocks. I hadn't disturbed the substrate for quite some time (the tank was up for 18 years without issue), and everything seemed well and good, but then things went very bad. I lost some fish and it went very cloudy. Ammonia level and nitrites and nitrates very high.

Anyway, things are settled down now and creatures doing well after lots of water changes. I have an algae problem, but when it completely cycles I'm confident it will be fine.

My question is this, before I replant and redesign the tank should I take the gravel out and rinse it with the aquarium water, or is deep syphoning enough? I have syphoned the gravel, but maybe a more thorough "cleaning" would be better. I don't want to undo all of the efforts that I've gone through over the last couple of weeks, but I also don't want to let some bad bugs loose again when I replant. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts