The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75g tank that has been up for about 9 months. It is my first and I guess I don't know much about where to place plants. It's way out of control and I would love to take the plants out and replant them in a much nicer way.

Here are some shots of the tank as of right now. I have a huge Amazon Sword that takes up most of the left side. Is it even possible to move something this big?

There are three Aubias on the tall wood that have taken serious hold so I'm sure I can't move those. The other plants, Money Wort, a few smaller Amazon Swords, Chain Sword (this stuff is spreading like crazy now), Ludwigia Repens, Ludwigia Glanduosa (this stuff never took very well and has been slowly dying, I will just remove it all) a couple Crypts, and a few other smaller plants I think can be moved just not sure of the best way to go about it. Any advice? And any advice for a fish or invert to clean the algae on the glass? I have an Otto, two Chinese Algae Eaters, and three Nerite Snails and none of them touch the stuff.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You can move all your plants. The big sword will make a mess but you can uproot it if you need to. Just make sure when you move everything to take your time and try to pull everything up carefrully. This should minimize the amount of substrate and mulm you stir up. After you are done with you scaping do a large 50 percent water change. A couple days later do another 50 percent water change. The algae near your substrate is not algae. It is a form of cyano bacteria. You cankill it by either dosing maracyn or doing a 5 day blackout. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have three Roslines, they are the best. I'm not sure if I'm up to the whole process of doing a replant just yet. I'm sure it's much more work and time than I can put in right now. Cyano, my old nemesis from my salt water days. I have tons of flow so it's odd that it is on the front glass and nowhere else. I think I'll just try to scrape the glass first and then do a blackout. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you are wanting a scape that is more aesthetically pleasing I would put your large sword as dead center with the wood behind it to give the scape more depth.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If your tank is anything but gravel and is soil based (aquasoil,flourite, potting mix) it will make a huge mess uprooting that sword. If that is the case just empty the tank but keep the tank water in a container to put back in the tank later. That way your water won't become a muddy mess.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I would leave the sword where it is and pull up the stems around it. Pull up the stems and group them into bushes that are about the same height, more like 1/2 the height of the tank than to the top. Maybe move the crypts to the right hand side so you have rosette plants on both ends of the tank. Use the chain sword along the front of the tank and allow it to grow under the sword plant.

I suspect the stems in front of the beautiful form of the sword and the unruly stems make the tank look messier than it really is. Group those messy looking stems and they will show off their nice growth pattern better without interfering with the other stems nice growth pattern so much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the replant tonight. Took about 3 hours. My substrate is about 40% gravel and 60% Eco Complete. I was so amazed how even the smallest plants had such big roots. The big sword was easier than I thought. I will post pics tomorrow when the dust settles. I stirred up some debris but it wasn't that bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.