The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to remove the rigid tube (the part you actually vacuum with) from the part with the nipple that connects to the flexible tubing? I'd like to replace the tube with a longer one.

And also, what is the ideal/preferred length of the vacuum tube? Should it be under/over the height of the tank?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Is there any way to remove the rigid tube (the part you actually vacuum with) from the part with the nipple that connects to the flexible tubing? I'd like to replace the tube with a longer one.

And also, what is the ideal/preferred length of the vacuum tube? Should it be under/over the height of the tank?

Thank you!
Everything should come apart. The plastic cylinder will disconnect from the plastic piece that has the nipple, and the tube will disconnect from the nipple. There really isn't an ideal length, it's really personal preference. Obviously you wouldn't want it too short because it doesn't give enough room to to controlled vacuuming. FYI: It shouldn't need replacing unless you broke it. And even then cracked units will still work.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
If you want longer, how about just adding a section to the first? Large heat shrink tubing to slide over the two parts.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Warm water should let you pull the hose from the nipple.
I do this frequently to suck up snails.
Smaller diameter hose sucks em up quick as opposed to just floating about in the tube and allows me to reach tight areas around the plants for vaccuming up debri.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol I feel so dumb. I had tried several times to pull the tube off, but it never loosened so I assumed there was some kind of adhesive there. Of course, I tried again after I posted this and it popped right off after I gave it a little twist.
Now off to the hardware store to find a new tube!
Thanks for the replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts