The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an older 30 gal with a hood, with a piece of glass at the opening for the light. It is pretty foggy no matter how much I clean it.

Should I consider replacing it and if so how hard is it? The glass that is, would like to keep the hood still as it matches the tank.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Is this the plastic hood?
Front half is a flip-up lid, middle half is the glass, and the narrow strip at the back has several sizes of punch-outs for equipment?

You might look for something like Rain-X to coat the glass with, but I have no idea if it is fish-safe. That might minimize the fogging.

Replacing the glass is very easy. If the old glass is glued in you will want to do this in a safe manner. Set the lid in a box with the glass down and see if you can slip a blade in where it is glued to break the seal. Otherwise, just start breaking out the glass. When the glass is gone, clean out the glue. Have new glass cut to fit. Match the thickness of the old glass. A few blobs of glue or silicone caulk will hold it in place, or do not use any glue. The glass will sit on the ledge even without glue. Remember when you take that lid off, though, that the glass is loose.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I used a product called CLR on my foggy canopy and it worked well. Still had to scrub a lot. CLR is very strong so if you do try it make sure you wash it all off well before putting it near the tank.

You still might be able to get it off or if it's not worth the effort just buy a new one.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Hmmm
different definitions of foggy.
I was assuming condensation from the tank was beading up on the underside of the glass.
mustang suggests it is mineral build up.

If the glass is permanently fogged because of etching from minerals or the cleaners used, then replacing the glass or the whole lid is the only way to get rid of it.

Try the CLR. That cuts the minerals really well. Read and follow all the safety precautions.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Try Muriatic acid, no scrubbing involved. I cleaned a saltwater sump with it when I converted it to my 90 freshwater. Looked brand new when I was done. 1 gal bottle is like $8.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Try Muriatic acid, no scrubbing involved. I cleaned a saltwater sump with it when I converted it to my 90 freshwater. Looked brand new when I was done. 1 gal bottle is like $8.
If you plan to go this route, please take the necessary precautions as concentrated hydrochloric acid is quite corrosive. The fumes are also quite dangerous.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you plan to go this route, please take the necessary precautions as concentrated hydrochloric acid is quite corrosive. The fumes are also quite dangerous.
Very true. Gloves, goggles and plenty of fresh air are a must but you get the desired results. Rubber maid tub in the garage works fine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is the kind of hood Diana described. Plastic for the most part with and opening in the middle for the light.

I think I will try the CLR and if that doesn't work get the glass replaced.

The hood/glass is around 20 years old. I typically clean it each time I change the water. But it did sit for many hears not being used. And I had a period recently where I had to go 3 weeks to without a water change. I nnotied the mineral build up is quite strong. It looks fairly clear when I wash it but as soon as it dries it isn't. And I am wondering if that is reducing my overall lighting for my tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts